Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light Blinking

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
akc
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light Blinking

Hi,
I have a 2000 Discovery with almost 164K miles. My check engine light has been on for well over 2 years, but that is not my issue. Lately, when accelerating from about 30-50 mph, the check engine light starts to blink. Once I am up to about 50 mph and about 2000 rpm, the blinking stops. Also, while the engine lightis blinking, it seems as though there is some hesitation. I feel like the thing is going to die right there on the road. Also, when starting up for the first time in the morning, once the car starts idleing (sp?), it seems like it may stall, but it doesnt. I am taking it in tomorrow to our local mechanic. Unfortunately I do not live anywhere near a LR Dealer, I am stuck with a local guy. Any advice to give to him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Engine Light Blinking

You need plugs and wires.
Never drive for a long time with your check engine light on. That light is trying to tell you something. By driving with it on for TWO YEARS you have caused more damage to the engine and now it is going to cost youi big time to fixwhat was probally a $100 repair.
The light flashing at you is saying "hey, STOP DRIVING ME".
Best of luck to you, hope you have a big pocket book. And your local guy can do almost everything the deal can.
And dont worry about the spelling, I went to public skool too.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Your CEL has been on for over 2 years and you say it's not the issue?! Your poor truck... I bet your mechanic is seeing waves of money right now. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

This is truely one of the laimer posts I have read in awhile. Had you light on for 2 years and am just getting around to checking it cause it has gone critical and is now flashing. I would suggest you start riding a bike again, if you can remember to keep the tires aired up.
I hope this mechanic is half good and you have deep pockets cause you are goiing to need them.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling

To answer your problem, the blinking light and hesitation is a misfire. I had the same experience. What will happen if you continue driving it is the catalytic converts will be killed by the rich exhaust gases. The engine is also not going to appreciate the violent misfires it is experiencing. Just get new plugs and wires and hopefully you should be in the clear. Remember to have the light reset just in case there is a different problem that comes up later.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Get Magnecor 8mm wires and Champion 7318 plugs.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 09-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell it and get a new LR. Vehicle Maintenance, attempt #2.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 AM
akc
Overlanding

Thanks to those that responded with actual advice. My check engine light has been on so long because there is some sort of electrical issue, not because there is a problem, according to my mechanic. The car has passed emmissions inspection and all of the codes are fine, which is why I posted that it was not an issue. It has been running fine up until a week or so ago. Once again, thanks to all of those who actually gave some information and not a rude response, "Disco2guy", "DiscoMike", and "WolfPack". I am just a mom trying to ask questions and figure out what is wrong. Hope everyone has a great day, try not to be so negative.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Let us know how it turns out please.
As a side note, the check engine light cant just "be on" for no reason. It has to be on because of a fault and your mechanic needs tofind out why.
Seriously, you could have a major problem but not know it because the light is always on, you can ruin your catalitic convertors, your exhaust valves, your oxygen sensors all kinds of stuff because you didnt know that there was a problem. This goes with any car not just a Land Rover.
Best of luck to you.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 AM
akc
Overlanding

thanks spike. You are so nice. I am wondering why the car didnt die with me driving it every day at least 50 miles?The dude told me that he couldn't get the light to go off, so I just figured it was one of those quirky things. Unfortunatley I live in a small town with only one mechanic, so I am screwed when it comes to Land Rovers.I think I am the only person within a 50 mile radius that has one. This is Ford/Chevy country, not to mention John Deeres! I am taking it to him in a few minutes, and I wrote down what everyone posted about plugs/wires/etc. Thanks again, will post the outcome!

Quick Reply: Engine Light Blinking