Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine service light unable to reset

Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine service light unable to reset

Hi All,
This is my first post so I hope i am posting in the right section. The engine service check light will not go out, I bought a hawkeye diagnostic and it is showing this fault
112 P0340 Camshaft censor fault - not plausable - present and static

Is this a servicable part? is it a common fault? do I have to take it to a dealer or can i repair/replace it myself and then clear the codes with the hawkeye.

The car has been sat un used for about 8 months before I bought it if this makes any difference, it has just done a 600 mile trip without missing a beat, if i leave it as it is will it cause damage to anything else?

Thanks all

Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Overlanding

Thanks Chermecz
This may sound a stupid question but is the camshaft sensor different to the crankshaft sensor? as the fault code says camshaft? Should I change both to make sure?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

A camshaft and a crankshaft are different parts.

Last edited by ZGPhoto; 03-06-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camshaft and crank position sensor are indeed different sensors. Your camshaft position sensor is located behind your waterpump/fan pulley. Its a pain to get to (for me it was at least).

They're pretty expensive here in the states (though I got mine from autozone for $75) not sure how much they are there.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Overlanding

Thanks guys, The car is throwing some weird faults up I hope that the camshaft sensor sorts them out, Poor fuel economy 12 -14 to the UK gallon an the gearbox is very slow to go into 4th you have to drive about 20 miles before it goes into 4th and its fine until the ignition is turned off and then you have to go through another 20miles before 4th starts to work! There are no transmission fault codes, so i am hoping so. has anyone else had these problems?

Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the only code? Post ALL of the codes for a better idea what might be wrong. My CMP was shorted when it broke so caused a fuse to blow and triggered some 13 codes. Most of your issues could probably be solved by a $.99 box of fuses.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If this is the red service engine soon light, has no codes.
Only way to reset it is to remove the timer from the passenger's kick panel
(on a Discovery I) and reset it.

If this is the amber check engine light - then yes, code related from an engine OBDII scanner.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Can't clear that code till you replace the cam sensor.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the responses, i have only had the car for a couple of weeks and it is the first time i have had the hawkeye i=on the car. When I got the car there was a blown fuse under the bonnet, the interior lights didnt work, once i replaced the fuse, the lights came back on. The yellow check light is on as well as the srs light. The only other faults I have found are, 1 the passenger seat will not raise, fuel guage does not read correctly and i cannot fill the car with fuel to the top unless the car is empty! All very strange faults, I just need to get home for a weekend and then hopefully I can fix them all??

Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hope so. Before ordering a CMP (camshaft position sensor) be sure it is snuggly plugged in. The truck will run with it un-pluged, using a stored default value. That is not true about the CKP (Crank Shaft Position) sensor, which will kill spark if unplugged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine service light unable to reset