Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap:Thinking about Buick 3800 or 4.3 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Swap:Thinking about Buick 3800 or 4.3 Chevy

I know that some of you aren't going to like this, but, has anyone done an engine swap with either of these engines? Does anyone have experience doing any engine swap dropping in a non-Land Rover engine? I would love your feedback if you have any info.

Thinking about going down this road with my 04. Both have similar horsepower and torque to the 4.6.

Thanks

Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, what are you planning on doing with the tranny and tranny ECU and engine ECU, call of which are set up to run only a Rover engine??? Thats the problem, not just a matter of our not liking the idea.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Mudding

That's a good question. That's why i'm asking if anyone's done it. I'm asking what are the roadblocks, how did you solve them. Am i on the right track...

Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to hunt it down but I know there was a company out there making a stand alone Tranny ECU that you could program yourself. That would at least control the transmission.

My guess would be the engine would use a stand alone ECU as well. The main problem I see with this is how LR has them all working together. The BCU would no doubt need to stay if you are planning on keeping all of the internal electronics running.

I was reading a writeup on a British site on how to equip a Land Rover for overland. They made note of a company that removes all the security/immobilization electronics and equipment. Made it sound like that was a pretty common practice for overland equipped vehicles. Something you might want to think about when you start messing with the brains of the rover.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, think about the flip side - there are guys over on the Triumph boards wondering how to go about putting in the highly prized butt kicking Rover V-8... see The Wedge Shop - Fast. British. Reliable. The Rover engine can be highly modified. Not saying that makes it a 27 mpg docile milk run machine with bullet proof reliablity.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's really a tough one. The issues with a full swap will be CAN-BUS errors. The CAN itself is universal but it seems like every manufacturer puts their own spin on the software. As mentioned, Ashcroft makes the compushift to mend the transmission end but there's still a lot left to deal with. Purely conjecture here but my guess would be that a BMW V8 or V12 used with the ZF 4HP-XX and ECM may be the least amount of work on the electronics side. The DII uses BMWs I-BUS so it's possible they didn't reinvent the wheel with the CAN-BUS when they went Motronic. Again, don't know just a guess. Then you've still the transmission mating issue which would require some custom work.... unless you just bought a BMW bell housing and bolted it to the 4HP since BMW did use the ZF 4HP series gearboxes, nice and tidy.

Another thought, find a suitable OHV V8 and leave the Mo5.2.1 intact with a custom tune and just swap sensors and injectors over. That's a oversimplification but you get the idea. Def custom tranny adapter plate.

Anyway, the security issues are a pretty simple workaround no matter what as is the BCU with some limitations. Bottom line, a "perfect" swap is going to take a lot of time, $$$ and research. A mostly OK swap - a lot of time and perseverance and one dollar sign, maybe two. No matter how much planning goes into it and how much you think you have it covered things are going to come up along the way that you couldn't foresee and have to solve or find a workaround for. For me, half the fun is doing what others said was impossible then looking back and realizing how simple it actually was.

Last edited by tee51397; 01-13-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

For the amount of money and work it would take to swap engines. You might as well pull the rover V-8. Tear it down, get the heads decked and a bore job and get some horse power back. Re-seal it and you will have a reliable engine, with less hassle on conversions.

Todd Co sells a 5.0 liter Rover engine but I don't know if that is bolt in job for the Discovery. But if you can pull it off, I shall praise you! Go for an LS1 motor!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Mudding

A little history for perspective. Bought the 04 fairly cheap with bad habits. rebuilt the engine a year ago. So, i've already gone through that. THese obviously have head gasket problems sooner or later as well as other potential problems. Just want to know if i have options. I'd really like to use a more common engine like the ones i've mentioned.

Just looking to see if there is another solution. If anyone has done it, let me know

Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh you already rebuilt the engine, are you having troubles right now? Did your HG blow again or you are just wondering if it could be done?

If it's been rebuilt you shouldn't have many problems with it for a very long time, given proper fluid changes.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
If it's been rebuilt you shouldn't have many problems with it for a very long time, given proper fluid changes.
LOL, "shouldn't". I'm interested in this thread but only if people who have actually DONE something chime in...otherwise it's all passed down hypothesis and theory and scary stories. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap:Thinking about Buick 3800 or 4.3 Chevy