Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine won't turn over, just clicks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't turn over, just clicks

Hey all,
We've owned our LR for about 2 years now and the warranty has just expired, so I have decided to try and fix things myself. Earlier today my wife couldn't start the Discovery. Every time she turned the key it just clicked. All the electronics worked but the engine wouldn't turn over. After talking with one of the service techs at LR he suggested that it may be the ignition switch???. He suggested locking and unlocking the vehicle a few times b/c that usually fixes it. After about the 20th time the car started and hasn't had trouble the rest of the day. Does the ignition problem sound right? If so, is it possible to buy on outside of the dealership? Thanks.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:01 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine won't turn over, just clicks

I would have the battery checked and clean the battery
posts, on the inside.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:02 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And Welcome to the Forum.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:50 AM
8th Gear

Thank you. I took a look at the battery and the terminals seemed clean. I will double check those again. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It is pretty safe to say it is not the ignition switch, it just can't happen.
Go for dirty or loose battery cables, a low or near dead battery, a tired alternator or a starter that is starting to fail. The clicking sound you are hearing is the solonoid is what you hear clicking. This problem won't just go away so I would suggest you take your truck in and have the battery charged, then perform a load test on the battery, alternator and starter. Don't let this go, cause your wife will rip your head off when it happens again.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 04-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Mudding

ditto on the starter/alternator. That description is classic symptoms of this. yeah your wife will not like it when it does fail.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:15 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the tips. You are right about not wanting to get another phone call about the truck being dead. Hopefully I'll get this taken care of this weekend. Thanks for all the help.
Andrew

Old 04-28-2006, 04:17 PM
8th Gear

Almost forgot, one last thing. www.roverparts.com seems to have pretty good deals on parts. The stealership quoted me $400 for a starter and I know I saw them cheaper than that on roverparts. Are they're any other places to get a good deal on parts? Thanks.

Andrew

Old 04-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you have a good auto electrical shop in your town that is any good, they can be a great way to go.
I have one in my town, gave then my alternator and they replaced everything that was bad, the cleaned and reconditioned it. When i got it back, I got the old parts so I knew what was replaced and a bill for about $130.
Starters and alternators that are rebuilt at a large facility are more likely to fail cause they don't really repace all that may be needed.
Mike

Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Mudding

Hey man, look in the general tech help section. there is a thread with tons of parts suppliers. I forgot to mention, I like to coat my terminals with vaseline and tighten them pretty damn tight. The vaseline helps conduct electricity, so it will kinda give a better connection. It may also buy you a few more days. Yes, www.roverparts.com is a great place. They prolly know most of the folks on here by a first name basis!! hahaha...hope it helps

Quick Reply: Engine won't turn over, just clicks