Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Entire front axle off center?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entire front axle off center?

Long story short, finally found a disco II in great condition at a really fair price, and through some unusual circumstances coupled with some jerk not paying attention, a collision occurred with damage to my front drivers side at the corner. It appears the tire/wheel itself also made contact during this collision.

Anyway, now that I've got her home, it seems like the entire front axle/suspension is shifted to the right, but I cannot for the life of me find anything that is obviously bent and not sure what would be needed to fix this. I can work on engines all day but suspension is not my thing.

The primary visual cues are that the wheels do not appear to have the same lateral alignment front to back, and the coils/shocks at the bottom are skewed to the right on both sides, but slightly more so on the drivers side. In other words, the lower coil cups are not centered directly underneath the upper cups like I would expect.

Also, I know how to fix this but I thought it was worth mentioning since it may be a contributing factor, the steering wheel seems a turn and half off. When I'm driving straight, the wheel is turned 90 degrees left of center. I can also make 1 full rotation extra when turning to the right. Left turning radius is horrible.

Obviously an alignment is in order, but what should I be looking at/for? Is there a way to even adjust lateral alignment outside of an adjustable panhard bar?

Last edited by ReRover; 06-25-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Undo the panhard rod and see if it pulls back inline , i think you will need to take it to a suspension place or even a panel shop that has a chassis jig to check the points are still within spec.
With a hit on that wheel it has obviously bent something and my guess would be the panhard rod chassis mount, an adjustable rod may just fix it.

The following users liked this post:
ReRover (06-27-2016)