Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust and intake manifold??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and intake manifold??

My 2003 Disco is very loud when it starts then quiets after its warm up period but when i hit the gas i can hear it again. Sometimes it sounds like it's ticking but I'm not sure. Mechanic says it's an exhaust manifold leak. Also, losing coolant on a regular basis. I see it on the ground after I park it for the night. Mechanic says it's an intake manifold leak. Do these diagnosis'sound correct? He said it's $900 to fix. Anyone have any insight?
Thanks,
Brian

Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust and intake manifold??

Could be, valley pan gaskets can leak coolant although it is usually the head gaskets. How many miles on your truck?
Have you ever stuck your head under the hood when you first start up your truck in the morning and listened to the noise, could it be internal or is it exhaust, this is important?????

Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust and intake manifold??

Could be. There is a pre-heater on the intake that has 2 hoses going to it. See if there is coolant leaking from there. I doubt it would be the full intake manifold gasket, though. Exhaust manifolds crack. I have done my drivers once and my passenger twice. That is more than normal, but not out of the ordinary to have one crack.

How many miles do you have? I am going to pull a Mike here and tell you to really start thinking about replacing the 2 U-joints in the double cardan joint on your front driveshaft with ones that you can grease. Big problem that can slap you transmission out with little or no notice...