Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
i have the 4.0 stock tires and wheels but heavier bumpers and no roof rack as of yet. I'm considering overheating above 205-210. Abran might have the lines. I use the factory set up but then again I'm down south and the inline doesn't serve my purpose but that just my preference. The only option I would know would be to do away with the fan and go with an electric set up. I know they aren't too expensive and I believe there is some write ups somewhere on here where folks have done them. They water wetter can help lower the coolant temp between 4-6 degrees average. Most advertise 10 degrees but I haven't seen it. I also have the ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and I went a step further and I'm having they magnaflow y pipe with cats coated. I know you said you have redone you cooling system recently but how is the viscous clutch on your fan. I have a lot of hilly terrain in central Alabama and never had a problem with high temps pulling. I've actually been surprised and better knock on wood before that comment bites me in the ***
with my truck, I think it's a combination of the 18" wheels + larger tires + rack + rooftop tent + awning + metal bumpers and sliders
it's a perfect recipe for putting strain on the truck, add weight and raise gearing.
210 is nothing for an 03-04 truck. They all run way hotter than that unless you take major steps.

my fan clutch is in great shape, I ditched the 03-004 design a couple of years ago and went with the Hayden HD fan clutch. Fan clutch doesn't really help you at freeway speeds though.

i can't replicate this behavior with either the 4.2 in my classics or the 4.0 GEMS in my D1

Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Well that's probably the case then. I failed to look at you signature. That was my mistake. If you break down and get that radiator, let us know BC I'm planning on a lift and bigger tires with rehearing in the new future along with the roof rack and tent also and I found it will keep it cool, money well spent

Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well that's probably the case then. I failed to look at you signature. That was my mistake. If you break down and get that radiator, let us know BC I'm planning on a lift and bigger tires with rehearing in the new future along with the roof rack and tent also and I found it will keep it cool, money well spent
The rack definitely adds a lot of weight and drag, I immediately dropped 1-2mpg after I put it on

with the Classics, I'm running a tire size closer to stock and the rack presents a more efficient front profile, so that even with the same roof top tent, I get significantly better gas mileage than with my D2.

Its really just when towing and grade that screws me over. The climb up to my house is about 1000 vertical feet and the other challenges occur when climbing snoqualmie or Stevens pass. With towing it happens earlier.

i just did the head gaskets and front cover (timing chain and water pump) and really want to solve this problem once and for all.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Pro Wrench

I understand completely. I haven't hear snoqualmie in years. Used to go up there when I was stationed in Seattle. Loved it

Old 01-12-2017, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I understand completely. I haven't hear snoqualmie in years. Used to go up there when I was stationed in Seattle. Loved it
I prefer Stevens for snowboarding, dryer snow up there but it's so convenient to take the kids up to Snoqualmie.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Pro Wrench

True. That's where I learned to snowboard. Ended up a lot of times going up to vancuever to that one they had the games at. Can't think of the name of it. Every now and then, I had a buddy that lived in crescent city California and we would take hwy 101 all the way down. Gorgeous.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

True. That's where I learned to snowboard. Ended up a lot of times going up to vancuever to that one they had the games at. Can't think of the name of it. Every now and then, I had a buddy that lived in crescent city California and we would take hwy 101 all the way down. Gorgeous.
Whistler?
whistler is epic, I can't wait to take my kids up there.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Whistler?
whistler is epic, I can't wait to take my kids up there.
Thats it. I enjoyed my time up there but glad to be back in warmer weather

Old 01-12-2017, 11:02 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
I guess one more approach might be to replace the condenser fans with something more powerful and to have them switch on at lower temperatures before things get out of hand. I can overheat on a prolonged 5% grade unless i'm real careful even if i'm not pulling the 5000lb trailer.
Is there a way to bypass the switch to the condenser fan to let it run anytime you need it? I think that fan will only run when the temperature goes above 130 degrees or higher. Sometimes even on heavy traffic, that fan does not even turn on.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Is there a way to bypass the switch to the condenser fan to let it run anytime you need it? I think that fan will only run when the temperature goes above 130 degrees or higher. Sometimes even on heavy traffic, that fan does not even turn on.
per the RAVE, it comes on to assist with cooling at 212.

Quick Reply: Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)