Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 939 Likes on 632 Posts

Nevermind. I literally read it four times before I posted that to make sure and somehow missed it all four times.

Have you checked to make sure nothing is in your lines? I think it was Charlie saying he once pulled acorns or something out of one of his rad hoses. Fell in one day when he was doing some work

Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Nevermind. I literally read it four times before I posted that to make sure and somehow missed it all four times.

Have you checked to make sure nothing is in your lines? I think it was Charlie saying he once pulled acorns or something out of one of his rad hoses. Fell in one day when he was doing some work
acorns in the lines? That reminds me of having to pull apart the new samsung washing machine to find a washer neatly blocking the drain pump.

i just replaced the hoses last week. I was waiting to finish the head gasket job and was moving to the inline stat so did a full flush st the same time.,

i've been playing around with using lower gears while climbing. It seems to help a little.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
acorns in the lines? That reminds me of having to pull apart the new samsung washing machine to find a washer neatly blocking the drain pump.

i just replaced the hoses last week. I was waiting to finish the head gasket job and was moving to the inline stat so did a full flush st the same time.,

i've been playing around with using lower gears while climbing. It seems to help a little.
since you mention it, a repair buddy of mine said the dish network techs have the contract to fix the Samsung washing machines BC they have been having issues valor with them

Old 01-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

So...I have been looking at "off road" and "cup truck" radiators because I was bored.

Obviously they are going to be on the pricey side but, curious is OP would consider a set up like that.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
So...I have been looking at "off road" and "cup truck" radiators because I was bored.

Obviously they are going to be on the pricey side but, curious is OP would consider a set up like that.
Thats what i'm thinking. Allisport is one of the more well known rover v8 and diesel motorsport manufacturers.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe a group buy opportunity for NW guys?

Old 01-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Decider
i'll ask them when I call tomorrow.
i need a radiator for my Classic too

Old 01-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by The Decider
I will wait for Robert's response as I am looking at the stock radiator replacement. My goal is to get the truck back to as if it just came off the show room floor. Of course, if the price is right that could change.

With that said, always feel free to ping me with any of your OEM parts that you plan on replacing (i.e. radiator mounts)

Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
i remember reading about that experience on this forum
i have no doubt that an electric fan can work, it's just my preference to run a viscous fan. I'm curious though, was the spal blocking airflow through the grille to the radiator? The viscous should not be a factor in cooling at highway speeds right?
The $$$ setup had a custom fan shroud, with the fan mounted near dead center. During the winter months (in TX it's like a normal spring day lol) it could handle it fine. It had a harness that went straight to the PCM so the computer turned it on automatically if you used the AC, and if the engine temp reached 195F it would also come on. If you shut off your engine it would fire up the efan to help cool it down after shut down and heatsoak.

However in the TX Summer months it would run constantly and on the highway I guess it's air flow rating was poor as anything pass 55MPH = temps would climb until the 237F range and at that point a LR would have toasted, but the 5.3L survived.

stuck the old stock setup on and bingo temps in the normal range. Maybe a more powerful efan would have fixed it, but after spending nearly 600.00 I called it quits!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Update. I've spent the last few days working on trying to find the root cause of the heat. I'm pretty sure it's the transmission. I drove home up the hill in 2nd at 2500rpm and temps never broke 188.

Quick Reply: Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)