Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fault codes p0150 an p0174 help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fault codes p0150 an p0174 help?

On my 2000 disco II with the 4.0 engine. I had to replace the down pipe gasket on the passenger side exhaust. I disconnected the battery and cleaned the connection on the 02 sensor wire thats before the catalytic convertor on the passenger side because it had oil on it. I used a cleaner spray designed for sensitive electronic parts on a car. now i'm getting two codes- p0150 and p0174. I didnt have any fault codes before putting on the new exhaust gasket and cleaning the connection of the 02 sensor. I do have a exhaust gasket leak on the drivers side down pipe that I haven't fixed yet. just throwing that in there because I can't seem to find the problem that's giving me the fault codes?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

You already found the problem.

Button up the drivers side exhaust leak and at minimum replace both upstream sensors. The O2 no longer feeds the ECU cycle signals (changes in voltage) to maintain/correct the A/F mixture. A leak upstream of the O2 adds oxygen to the exhaust stream. You closed the leak and the O2 hard faulted lean. They don't always trip a DTC so consider yourself lucky, you'll save a little coin on fuel.

It's good to keep them clean, that didn't harm it. Rule of thumb is if you have 100k on the clock replace the O2's. Amazon seems to be a good spot for the herd to buy LR spec O2's.

Nothing more to it, good luck.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Mudding

Great explanation thanks for the help.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Three Wheeling

I just went through this and had a bad MAF sensor.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by NoBama316
I just went through this and had a bad MAF sensor.
How about sharing with everyone more in-depth detail on WHY the MAF threw two very O2 specific DTC's? Do you even know what they mean? I doubt it. I'm curious how you came to your invisible conclusion and then posted it for me and everyone else to see it. Kinda telling about who you are don't ya think?

The "I just went through this and had a bad MAF sensor." response has become the blanket "I don't have a clue about your problem." answer for several clearly easy issues I've read in the DII forum. It's comical. I think I'll stick around the DII forum and empty the trash cans. It'll increase MY post count.......

Old 10-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by aftermath431
On my 2000 disco II with the 4.0 engine. I had to replace the down pipe gasket on the passenger side exhaust. I disconnected the battery and cleaned the connection on the 02 sensor wire thats before the catalytic convertor on the passenger side because it had oil on it. I used a cleaner spray designed for sensitive electronic parts on a car. now i'm getting two codes- p0150 and p0174. I didnt have any fault codes before putting on the new exhaust gasket and cleaning the connection of the 02 sensor. I do have a exhaust gasket leak on the drivers side down pipe that I haven't fixed yet. just throwing that in there because I can't seem to find the problem that's giving me the fault codes?
update here is something I just found pulling back some tape on the upstream bank one o2 sensor wires going to engine harness. one wire doesn'tfault codes p0150 an p0174 help?-wire-002.jpg have a coating on it and it goes to nothing? here is the pictures of it its a few inches above the 02 sensor connector

Old 10-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Camel Trophy

OMG it's another learning moment......!!!! One more reason it's time for new O2's.

The uncoated wire(s) in your paw would be the electrical shield. Since the signal voltages through the "coated" wires are in the mV range it's there to keep electrical/magnetic interference low to none. The shield which is wrapped around the entire O2 wire bundle is important when it's mixed into the large wire bundles back to the ECU. Shielding wires are normally grounded back to the ECU's earth post.

Your not going to bring back a dead O2 by fixing it's shielding wire......you'll just tap it back into ground which provides as much excitement to a dead O2 as a dead walnut to a dead squirrel. I'm that excited......at least your observing what so many don't, the details. Unfortunately your finding the detail after the fact but the longer you live with your Rover the better you'll be at taking care of it before something fails.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
How about sharing with everyone more in-depth detail on WHY the MAF threw two very O2 specific DTC's? Do you even know what they mean? I doubt it. I'm curious how you came to your invisible conclusion and then posted it for me and everyone else to see it. Kinda telling about who you are don't ya think?

The "I just went through this and had a bad MAF sensor." response has become the blanket "I don't have a clue about your problem." answer for several clearly easy issues I've read in the DII forum. It's comical. I think I'll stick around the DII forum and empty the trash cans. It'll increase MY post count.......
Go **** yourself loser. I gave him something else to consider. The only one looking to boost their post count is you. Like I care what my post count is, you obviously measure your tiny dick by it.

Last edited by NoBama316; 10-16-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy

That's what I thought, nothing. Figured you out real quick. See, I like to help out a buddy when I can and I have the skills to do it. You don't have a clue and you prove it very well.......

Old 10-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Mudding

So I need a new 02 sensor and repair the 02 sensor wire going to the engine harness. How do I repair the shield around the O2 wire going to the engine?

Quick Reply: fault codes p0150 an p0174 help?