Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

faulty BCM and or IDU??

Old 05-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faulty BCM and or IDU??

Hi
My 2000 D2 has several electrical issues, front fog lights, interior lights (will work of the light switch but not any of the door switches, alarm, seat belt warning (warning light and alarm), Central locking locks and unlocks the doors with no indicator confirmation. All of these do not work.

Only audioable alarm is the head light on warning beeps.

I have looked at the wiring diagrams supplied by a couple of members (thanks) and all of these go through the BCM and IDU units.

is this a usual issue with one of the units and can they be repaired- dry solder joints etc??

What is the best way of checking if it is the BCM or IDU units ?/

Thanks

Justin

Old 05-26-2012, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Not usual, while solder joints could be repaired, also can leave you with a vehicle that won't crank. The BCU and ECU exchange information before cranking can take place. If this is distrurbed, by erase of BCU stored memory, or substitution of an unmatched BCU, ECU will assume theft attempt in progress and become most uncooperative.

You can remove connectors from BCU and meters for proper activity. As an example, connector C660-04 (purple & light green) monitors all door switches except driver door. The units are all in parallel and any one of them when opened should ground that point. The driver door grounds C660-17.

Now if you have normal inputs to the BCU, that becomes a strong case for a replaced module, but you will need a advanced shop or dealer to handle programming. You may be able to swap ECU and BCU from a donor vehicle. Be sure hood switch is deprssed when re-connecting battery, the BCU could have been in armed state in the donor vehicle.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:21 AM
nik
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through a similar ordeal almost immediately after buying my 99 D2, I engaged the alarm accidentally, and it would not disengage. It sat at the dealership for a month before they actually got it started and driving, and another three months to get the new non programed BCU from LR. The up side is that for at least a few months, everything about the truck worked. It even got rid of the amigos.

I hope your path to the fix is short.
N

Old 05-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Nearly all of your issues are programmable options within the BCU. The only odd one out is the interior lighting (assuming you mean overhead light).

Without the proper software it's going to be a difficult DIY diagnosis; but based on your above description it highly unlikely it's the IDM and all symptoms point to BCU.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could someone please remind, or enlighten me, what an the acronyms "IDU" and/or an "IDM" stand for? "Something Something Unit" and "Something Something Module"...?

thanks,

Thomas

Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Intelligent driver module

Old 05-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Intelligent driver module
I wish we had those here. It seems that all of the cars near me are driven by regular old unintelligent humans.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:43 AM
Overlanding
Default Replace the BCM?

So if I borrowed another working BCM from same year / spec vehicle is it a simple case of just swapping the two over??

Old 05-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Rock Crawling

No, the ECM has to be synced with the new BCU, keys programmed and options set correctly.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Overlanding

Hmmm

So I will need to take the vehicle and the 2nd had BCM to a dealer to be re coded etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: faulty BCM and or IDU??