Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing M and S green lights on dash????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Flashing M and S green lights on dash????

I drove today from Houston to Atlanta where will be for a few months and near the end of the drive the green M and S lights on the dash came on flashing green and also the D next to the odometer and the red light indicator next to the gear shift were flashing.

I had to drive a few miles through a narrow construction zone before I could stop and I put it in park and shut it down. When I restarted it all was ok.

Any thoughts on this? The car ran fine and had no other problems.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could just be low battery voltage..what part of atlanta are you staying in?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Agree, check clean and tighten all you battery and ground leads, then get you voltage check with the engine off and at idle, get back to use with the numbers.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think that if this happened near the end of a long drive your alternator has given up the ghost or is about to.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks! The battery connection could well be the issue. While working on my Disco last week I noticed that the positive cable seemed loose and when
I went to tighten it it didn't seem to help and actually twisted on the terminal. I'll either torque it down a little more or replace the cable clamp if it is bad but a momentary loss of DC power could be the cause. The battery is a big one and less then a year old and I am having no issues with starting the car.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Chris, do your self a favor, do not remove your factory cable ends, clean them, tighten them up then go get a free battery/alternator test done at your local auto parts store, get back to us with the voltage with the engine off and at idle, I have seen brand new batteries that fail.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Friendly bump.

I am having the same issue. Just one of many from this used 03 Disco Ive bought. I had the battery checked, but only when off. It has 568 crank amps, it was at 100$ charge, and 13.18 volts (or very close to that).

Ive cleaned the terminals, the pos has some corrosion. That seemed to have fixed it for about a week, now it does it all the time. Turning it off, then restarting it sometimes works, but it locked me out once doing that. Wouldnt turn over at all. It seems that when I take off the pos from the battery, resetting the computer, it will be ok for a few days, then starts again.

One thing I did notice, is on the negative lead to the battery, there is what looks like a ground, that is not hooked up. The connection looks like it was in use, because you can see a washer mark on it, where it had some use. But I cant see where it goes. Its about 3 inches back from the end of the cable, where it connects to the battery, and there is nothing there to connect to.

Anyways, this has become a fairly annoying problem. Any suggestions would be great.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Take that wire and somewhere on the fender will be a small hole, find a small bolt and lock washer and screw it to the fender.
If you cant find a hole then make one.
And screw will do, just makew sure that you use a lock washer so that it does not come off again.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I cant find anywhere to put it, or where it may have been. Ill try to upload a pic soon, its pissing rain right now.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem and the battery and all the cables were fine. Check your XYZ switch position and make sure that it is tight and in place. Sometimes it gets loose and/or A/C tubes condensation drops into it causing you to lose power and be stuck in 3rd gear. Before I always had to park my car facing out so I never had to reverse, because whenever I reversed and shifted back to drive, the flashing "M" and "S" would start.

Quick Reply: Flashing M and S green lights on dash????