Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing M and S green lights on dash????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the guy that wondered where that clip goes (and I know it's been a long time... but someone else might have the same deal), it's supposed to be clipped to the third bolt on the strip above it, stacked above what is already bolted there. Was just looking at mine. It's probably detatched because they put the wrong size battery in there and it wouldn't reach.

As for this whole flashing m and s green dash lights... it's happening on my 2003 SE. The battery is pretty old, with some corrosion on the posts, but I cleaned them up and tightened and no love. I'm worried about taking it in to get the alternator/battery tested, because this started happening when the vehicle just quits while driving. I pull over, turn the whole thing off and wait a few minutes... and it starts back up, but with the flashing lights. The closest parts store is 35 minutes away, so obviously I'm nervous to make that drive.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Quits while driving - cools off- restarts - great symptoms of the crank position sensor. When this happens, test for spark. No spark = CKP sensor. Can pour cold water on it to reset sometimes. Flashing lights due to poor battery. Murphy's Law is a multi-volume set, seems like you have a couple of volumes checked out already.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (1.55 MB, 275 views)
Old 04-29-2012, 02:04 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks much, Buzz. That definitely gives me something to go on. Perhaps I'll just replace the old battery and get a new sensor. Seems like anything on this rig is old enough to replace, anyway.

I either fortunately or unfortunately took this rig hunting last year in the deep mountains of Colorado. I put several hundred purely-offroad miles on it in the process... and now I'm completely addicted. Still remember the faces of the ATV hunters seeing me emerge from their trails without any difficulty. Don't want to give that up.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Hey guys. I was having this problem too. I had the battery checked and it was ok. Not great, just ok. So I decided to replace it. In doing so, I noticed the terminals on the cables were a bit loose. I tightened them down and the problem went away. Not sure if the battery or the cable fixed the issue. The guy at the battery shop said he had seen this issue before and the battery fixed the issue. In my case, when the lights were flashing, it wouldn't go past third gear. Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Let me take my glass's off!!
Now let me put them back on!!
LOL!!
Yes that battery is to small, the correct battery would have filled the whole battery tray.
+1, defo too small a battery. My wife's Smarty has a battery nearly that big. Check your owners manual or RAVE for the correct size.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

If the M&S lights and the gear indicator lights/letters are flashing it usually throws a fault code. Get the codes read and see what's occurring. In my experience the M&S and gear indicators usually flash when there is a autobox selector problem usually with the xyz switch or the wiring on the gearbox. It can also be a low battery charge or alternator charging insufficiently that's why you need the codes read before tearing down stuff unnecessarily. If it's the xyz switch it's repairable internally without spending on a new switch which are huge money for a rubbish rotary switch. I posted a repair somewhere on here for that switch awhile back.

The following users liked this post:
MDB (12-18-2020)
Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 PM
5th Gear
Default Same Problem

Hi guys,

I'm getting the same problem when I turn on the engine, but if I turn off and turn on again the problem is not happening.... Something that I noticed is that if I turn on the engine when the Shift position in on N the lights are not displayed on the Dash, and this is a workaround but for sure I need to check if there is a problem with the xyz sensor, my battery is ok, and I put a new alternator, probably I'll need to replace the battery or replace the fluid on the gearbox....

Old 04-23-2015, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flashing M and S lights

So last night I was leaving work and when I started my car the M and S light were flashing. I drove through the parking lot, stopped to pull out my owners handbook and turned off the car thinking it might reset. I tried to restart it and all I got was a clicking noise. I then tried to get a jump and every time I tried to start it the alarm would go off. Eventually I got towed home and am getting a new battery and possibly a new alternator to see if that helps the problem.

It say's in the owners handbook that if those two lights flash together that it indicates an electric fault with the automatic gearbox.

So will a new battery and alternator even help the matter or am I going to need to get it serviced??

I've tried in the past to put the car in Low gear following the instructions and haven't been successful yet, it's like it's stuck, which I've heard that can happen over time if you don't ever use it.

It's a 2003 land rover discovery (I don't know if it's a I, II, or III)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-23-2015, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do these codes appear??

Old 04-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if your ecu sees less than 13 volts the transmission goes into safe mode.
yes; start with a fresh charge battery and check your charging system.
also check and clean all the ground cable while you under there, they are another cause.

hopefully it will be that simple

Last edited by drowssap; 04-23-2015 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Flashing M and S green lights on dash????