Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex-A-Lite 180, Motorad 180 Thermostat, Evans Waterless Coolant experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:21 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call lucky8 and get a genuine 180F thermostat. I just put one in my new-to-me D2 and my temps went from running 200-215 to sitting in the mid 190s usually.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

^What he said. The Motorad seems to pretty consistently run 10+ degrees hotter than the genuine thermostat. I had the same experience with mine. Also, make sure your electric fan is functioning while you're at it. They like to seize up, especially in areas where salt is used in the winter. It comes on when the engine temp hits 212 degrees so you are still below that but it's something that you may need once it gets hot outside. Better to check it now and make sure it works.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

While they're both right that you need to switch that motorad for either genuine or in line, it alone shouldn't cause that much extra heat. I'm running green coolant with a ford electric fan and a motorad 180 and I never see temps over 201, they usually never pass 198. The motorad is just a hold over until I can get an inline.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
+ one on that.

After a proper flush/cleaning than included removing block drain plugs before/after and a gallon of vinegar for douche my typical cruising temps between 186-188 and never see 200 any longer.

You may also want to verify your temp reading by using a IR thermometer at ECT sensor/manifold. Found my IR reading spot on when cold but about 5 less than ScanGaugeII reads at operating temps.
Can someone explain this vinegar trick... Or "douche" according to this guy??

Old 04-29-2016, 12:25 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I am going to order up a Genuine 180 from Lucky 8. I won't have access to a garage until July, but I don't drive it a whole lot. If that still does not drop temps I will go back to Peak.

Trying to get those plugs out of the Block with it in the truck seemed like an impossible task. I blew out the system with a Wet/Dry Vac.

I will update after the new thermostat is in.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover

Trying to get those plugs out of the Block with it in the truck seemed like an impossible task.
I am headed down this road but really want to go after the plugs in the block. Why impossible?

Old 04-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by shady milkman
vinegar trick... Or "douche"
Using vinegar as a cooling system is an old school alternative to using commercially available products. Internet search will provide more auto info. It's what most people use in their coffee makers to clean out water deposits. As you asked interested in reading others opinions as well.

Trying to get those plugs out of the Block with it in the truck seemed like an impossible task.
Getting the block plugs out is the easy. Reinstalling the RH plug is a SOB the first time around. Does help to have a good selection of tools and elevate your vehicle for better viability/more working room. Use 6" wooden ramps I built years ago to get low to ground cars such as my GF's 280Z that lacked clearance to use normal steel ramps. They're perfect for Discovery scooting around underneath laying on the creeper.

I am headed down this road but really want to go after the plugs in the block.Why impossible?
Good for you. 1,000s of threads on the dreaded dex-cool. Suppose most folks think the deposits only settle in the radiator and flushing it or a replacement it will flush the lower block as well? All you need to see is one or two engines with overheating issues that were stopped up almost to the heads with accumulated debris. Had to end up using a metal rod with heads and plugs removed to flush the block.

Of course not impossible......LH is pretty much a piece of cake going in/out and just fwd of the CKPS.

On RH side you need to push/hold starter cable out of the way and disconnecting RH knock sensor plug made it much easier my second time.

3/8" drive 7/16" 12 point socket or combination wrench will fit the plugs.

Attached Thumbnails Flex-A-Lite 180, Motorad 180 Thermostat, Evans Waterless Coolant experience-img_20160201_160359076.jpg  

Last edited by number9; 04-29-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I thought I would post my experience after recently overhauling the cooling system by installing a flex-a-lite 180 fan and shroud, Nissens radiator, a motorad 180 degree thermostat and switching to Evans Waterless Coolant.

The fan was pretty straight forward to wire in. I used the included thermostat that has the insert for the radiator. The mounting was not too difficult, and I will probably look at having a shop do something more substantial and permanent if it is good in the summer months. The fan started at around 194 or 195 on its lowest setting, so if you want it cooler than that you would need a different control unit for the fan. It pushes quite a bit of air. It leaves I would say 2 inches on either sided of it when centered. The coverage of the Nissen's radiator from top to bottom is really close to perfect.

The Nissens radiator went in fine, and make sure you follow the order of the Rave manual or it is more difficult, but if you follow the directions it's much easier. I just tore into it like a puzzle and cost myself a bit of time.

The Motorad 180 thermostat was an easy install of course. It opened right at 180 and has been operating for a week now. I will keep an eye on it and test it every month or so, but so far so good. I gets the coolant to the radiator quicker, but I found the final operating temperature to be the same as the 190 degree thermostat, but I feel a bit better having it in there and that is a good thing.

The change over to Evans waterless went fine. I tested it and I have a bit more water left than what they want, and they recommend changing it again, but this is a trial period so I am leaving it with about 4% water left in it. I was able to bleed and refill a couple of times without issue, and was happy with that. I used a wet dry vac to blow out as much of the old coolant as I could. There is an install kit that has a neat nozzle for filling and some stickers which let mechanics know it is a waterless system.

Now for the temperatures. Without the viscous fan the engine gets to temp quicker and starts really easily. Driving on the highway the temps go from 195 to 204. The 202/204 temps are when you are climbing a hill or in traffic, and the fan gets it to 200 which is similar to what I had with the viscous fan. Around town temps were 193 to 197 most of the time with the ambient temperature at 15 to 35 degrees fahrenheit. The outside temp really had no affect on the temps before, so I imagine it will remain the same or similar, but time will tell. Only issue is a temp of 215 after engine shut off. I had not noticed that before. Not sure what that means or if it is a change at all.

I may end up going back to regular coolant and water wetter, almost completely out of curiosity and a bit of paranoia, but so far the temps are lower than what I was experiencing with the viscous fan, 190 thermostat, and Peak Coolant. The waterless will let the engine run a few degrees hotter. I don't drive mine much and wanted the benefit of no water/corrosion and less pressure on the system

The overall experience with the fan is really good. It is noticeably more responsive to the throttle on the highway and around town. I had a couple of O2 sensors replaced as well so am not comfortable saying it increased gas mileage, but it is much more lively. The engine feels, sounds and accelerates better without the viscous fan. My fan was the original and at 138,400 I thought I would make the change. Amazon had the kit for $267. The temps are lower, and that is with the waterless coolant, so in my estimation it is a big upgrade over the viscous fan.

The thermostat and waterless coolant make less impact in my opinion. The thermostat makes me feel better and the waterless coolant worries me a little, but as far as temps go it seems like a push so far. My old radiator was fine, just leaking at the Top left corner and had previously been repaired with silicone and a self threading bolt. I don't think the new radiator had any affect, as the old radiator seemed to be free of any obstruction or corrosion.

I will update this thread if my experience changes.
Honestly from experience the inline thermostat mod is the best way to go. You'd be running 183-188 permanently with that mod.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I am headed down this road but really want to go after the plugs in the block. Why impossible?
Maybe I am impatient, or just easily discouraged, but I could barely find them and they are tucked away.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Honestly from experience the inline thermostat mod is the best way to go. You'd be running 183-188 permanently with that mod.
And the only extra tool required is a knife, and its pretty close to the same cost.

Quick Reply: Flex-A-Lite 180, Motorad 180 Thermostat, Evans Waterless Coolant experience