Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frame replacement

Old 06-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame replacement

So my 2004 disco has the car cancer on the frame. Especially in the rear. I just replaced the head gaskets and bearing plus much more which wasn't cheap. I am able to get a rust free frame for $150. My question is how much am I looking at for replaceing it? And is it worth it?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoFever88
So my 2004 disco has the car cancer on the frame. Especially in the rear. I just replaced the head gaskets and bearing plus much more which wasn't cheap. I am able to get a rust free frame for $150. My question is how much am I looking at for replaceing it? And is it worth it?
For $150 do it! It's ****-ton of work, but worth it.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

If you're doing it yourself, do it! You're going to pay tons of hours of labor to swap a frame

Old 06-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a nice project if you have a way to lift the body.

Two guys did it in 4 minutes on youtube:

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Ill be looking into a frame swap next year so Im curious what you come up with and I encourage you to go through with it. People do it all the time with Series and Defenders so why not with the D2. There are not as many D2's left in the world today, many are scrapped all the time so at some point D2 enthusiasts are gonna have move on and forget these iconic models or think about long term restoration plans which include frame swaps. Also think about the lack of modern day boxy capable AWD vehicles, slowly they are being phased into history so maybe one day there will be a demand for our D2's. Maybe one day your son will become fascinated with the old pictures of your D2 and will want to get one of his own. So I say DO IT! Swap the frame. You already updated the engine so just do it and continue to enjoy your awesome truck. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:23 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Shame we cant get a rough idea of the cost of labor to have a shop do the swap. That said I just sent a inquiry to Far North Rovers in Anchorage AK so when I hear back from him Ill post his estimate. Least that can shed some light on things for future members who are in the market to pay someone to swap out the frame.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:37 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I reckon for 1/2 guys with the knowledge and a truck lift it's about 4-7 days works or done in a pro workshop around $4-6K which equates to the UK pricing including the galv chassis.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:40 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd look in to getting the chassis hot dip galvanized before you swap it in.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I'd look in to getting the chassis hot dip galvanized before you swap it in.
Absolutely. Most places will charge a flat rate based on weight. When I galvanized parts for my old Series about 15 years ago the cost was $400 per 500 lbs. Two people can move a stripped chassis so you'd have enough in the weight allowance to dip anything else you wanted to really rust proof.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there are company's in the UK that just specialize in frame swaps on DII, they charge the equivalent to $5k US and UK labor is cheap.

if you are going to galvanize a stock frame i assume it would have to be acid dip it first to get all the rust out of the inside.

I was just reading an article (UK mag) on this, they were comparing the new aftermarket frames for dII's, there are two types. one made of a boxes rail like other LR's and the Disco type made by two half welded together on the top and bottom like the stock frame is.
There consistences was even galvanized the two half welded down the middle was still going to be a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: frame replacement