Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frequent Stalls, Running Rough, No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequent Stalls, Running Rough, No Codes

I have a 2001 DII with 153151 miles.

New HG 25,000 miles ago.
New MAF
New CPS (twice)
New Cats
New O2 sensors (all 4)

The only code is 1590 which is for my ever present 3 amigos.

Starts easily even when cold, but frequently stalls shortly afterwards and then may or may not start back up right away. Ocasionally won't restart when warmed up (i.e. filled up the gas tank and then it wouldn't start for 10 minutes...). May just be a coincidence, but it seems like it is better when on flat ground and worse when on an angle...

Freeze frame data at idle in driveway:

Fuel sys 1 CL
Fuel sys 2 CL
Calc LOAD(%) 3.5
ECT (F) 208
STFT B1 (%) 2.3
LTFT B1 (%) 0 <---- That looks like a problem ----
STFT B2 (%) 1.5
LTFT B2 (%) 0.7 <---- This never changed even if I revved up the RPM
ENG RPM 670
Veh Speed 0
Spark Adv 12
IAT (F) 127
MAF (lb/min) 0.806
O2S B1 S1(V) 0.410
STFT B1 S1(%) 3.1
O2S B1 S2(V) 0.685
STFT B1 S2(%) NA <---- Is that normal??? Looks wrong
O2S B2 S1(V) 0.680
STFT B2 S1(%) -1.5
O2S B2 S2(V) 0.755
STFT B2 S2(%) NA <---- Again, that just doesn't look right...

OK, Anybody got any ideas about what I'm up against? This stalling thing is driving me crazy and I'd really like to get it fixed!!!

Bill

Old 09-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Perhaps another diagnostic method will yield fruit. Take a spare spark plug (new or used) and attach to a plug wire when this happens. Lay on manifold, then crank and check for spark. That CKP sensor can do that, but it could also be a rub in the wiring insulation, etc.

Fuel pressure test? New gas cap?

Not sure if your code reader is getting or understanding data from short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim.

There is no fuel temp sensor with the Bosch ECU, unlike older models.

If you dig down thru the links in my signature you'll see engine computer manual, grab a copy of the Bosch, and the smaller Land Rover Fuel Injection overview. These contain info not found in the RAVE, and an explanation of how codes are generated, normal parameters, etc.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Is that freeze frame that was stored for a fault, or is that live data just while running.

Long term fuel trims don't change when you hit the gas, that's what short term is for. And the Bosch 5.2 doesn't used subfeedback trims either, hence the N/A.

Why was the crank sensor(assuming CPS) replaced twice? That is by far the most likely suspect for a stall without a code. When it won't restart after a stall, does the MIL turn off while cranking?

Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Ditto ^,vote for cps

Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Have you considered doing a fuel pressure test, could be the issue and doesn't throw a code.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

And when CKPs were swapped out, if the tip had metal "fuzz" on it, that could be fouling by contamination (starter gear shredded, etc.).

If you can't get at the fuel pressure test, the ground side of the fuel pump comes to a bonding terminal near the fuse box, you can measure amp draw there, if no amps, pump is not spinning.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Overlanding
Smile Thanks for the feedback

Buzz - I'll add a spark plug to my everpresent onboard tool shop so I'll have it next time. The manuals are awesome, thank you. Fuel cap looks good, gasket is clean with no signs of wear. Confession - I have no idea how to do the fuel pressure test... or what kind of guage to use to do it... might try the electrical test you mention. Would the rig even run if the fuel pump wasn't pumping?

No fuzz on the CPS (either of them) first one was an oil leak failure. I redid the valve cover gaskets and that got 90% of the oil issue. When it started doing it again, I guessed bad CPS, so I put in another...

Roverguy7 - Live data while sitting at idle in the driveway. See above for double CPS replacement. Not sure what MIL is (sorry) SES maybe?

Dusty - Already put 2 new CPSs on her, I'm thinking it is a fuel thing, but I'm going to grab a spark plug to test it next time it does it.

Mike - Like I said above...sad to say but I don't know how or what gauge set up to do a fuel pressure test... I really think that may be the problem area just little to no experience working on that system...

Thanks again to everyone for all the good input. Much appreciated.

Bill

Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

U can check fuel pressure on the shrader valve with a tire gauge. Fill under the rear edge of intake manifold to find valve.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Overlanding
Default Who Knew?

Dusty - thanks for the heads up on checking fuel pressure. Who knew it would be that easy! Does the rig have to be running or just ignition in the "on" position?

Thanks again,
Bill

Old 09-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Running would be better, pump times out in a few seconds IF the CKP sensor does not register 80 rpm with the ECU. Won't run with no fuel, but will if low pressure and will have issues.

MIL = Malfunction Indicator Lamp = CEL = Check Engine Light. Most sacnners call it "MIL Status"

Quick Reply: Frequent Stalls, Running Rough, No Codes