Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frequent Stalls, Running Rough, No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have seen several times where the connector for the CKP doesn't get all the way back in its bracket and will cause loose connections. Also, see if you can get a mirror back behind the bank 1 head, and make sure you have no chafing on the harness, it can be bolted back up(after a head job) in a way where it will eventually wear through the sheathing and cause problems with CKP signal.

The MIL turns off while cranking (assuming a valid immobilization, which isn't your issue in the least) when the ECM receives an acceptable CKP signal.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Not the CPS...

Darn thing stranded me in the bank parking lot this afternoon. Definitely getting spark. It starts to start. Chugs, coughs, sputters and runs a little then dies. Just can't seem to catch and run. Really starting to sound like a fuel pump... of course when the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts to look like a nail... I've replaced just about everything else, so maybe throw a fuel pump at it????? Am I missing something that would rule out the fuel pump? I haven't had a chance to test the fuel pressure or voltage yet. I'll need to get it home from the bank parking lot first...

Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A singular spark is not what you need, as a failing CKP can emulate bad timing also.

Did you notice if the MIL turned off while cranking?

Could also be flooding out for any number of reasons, if you floor the gas pedal while cranking, it disables injector pulse, and allows just air to pass through the engine, if it is flooding this can clear it up after ~30 seconds of cranking(in 10 sec. intervals, not all at once)

Fuel pumps generally don't fail intermittently, however the relay, or something in the wiring easily can.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Overlanding
Thumbs down

I used a spare spark plug like Buzz recommended to check for spark while cranking. PLENTY of spark - gave me a nice little jolt while I was holding it. Note to self---don't hold the plug wire while cranking the starter.
I've already replaced the CPS twice, I really just don't think the problem is there.
Didn't smell fuel like it was flooded either. I let it sit over at the bank for a couple hours and went back to try and start it after work and it had the exact same issues. Got it to start and run normally for just a couple of minutes and then it died and won't restart. Killed the battery AND the jumper box. Tow truck on the way...

Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Overlanding

Oh, the MIL light does go out when cranking.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Overlanding
Default Update

Just for kicks I tried starting it in the garage this morning after having it towed home last night. Of course it started right up --BUT -- after running for just a couple of minutes it started to sputter, RPM dropped and then it died. Same old symptoms. Won't restart.

I noticed that it ran long enough to get up to normal operating temp before it died. Are operating temp and fuel system problems related in any way?? I put a new thermostat on it @ 125,000 miles when I did the HG job and it isn't/wasn't running hot before the stalling issue.

New fuel pump arriving tomorrow morning (along w/ new relay just in case). If that doesn't solve the issue I think I'll push it off a cliff....

Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Overlanding
Talking Victory!!!......for now....

Put the new fuel pump in this morning and it has run great and started everytime all day! So it looks like it was the fuel pump... Time will tell.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and input.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Overlanding
Unhappy Short victory...

Well... It ran well for a day. It stalled on me this morning and threw up 8 or 10 codes. All of which pointed to a bad battery. Replaced the battery. Running fine. Anyone ever heard of a bad battery mimicking a bad crank sensor? My current hope is that now that I have replaced the CPS twice, all the O2 sensors, the catalytic converters, the MAF and now the battery she'll run for a few weeks.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Overlanding
Default Fuel relay?!?!?

So even after the new battery it was doing the stall thing. Fortunately when I got the battery the fuel relay I had ordered was in and I picked that up too. I put the new relay in before leaving work and it seems to be OK. Only time will tell.....

Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Are you testing the function of the fuel pump by listening for it running; measure for volts at the pump or amp drain of pump circuit, or using a pressure tester on the test fitting? Them parts get high dollar to throw around.

Quick Reply: Frequent Stalls, Running Rough, No Codes