Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

44k + Other BG Products vs. SeaFoam??

Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 44k + Other BG Products vs. SeaFoam??

So I have purchased this kit of BG products on eBay. It was a good deal considering these are professional products. After using a 1/2 can of SeaFoam for an induction cleaning. I thought I would give BG products a try. I have 85,000 on my Discovery II. It runs fine with no hesitation. New plugs, wires within the last 20,000. All work myself
After parting out a 2004 Discovery engine I seen first hand how much gunk gathers in the upper and lower manifold and engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

For those that have used these products before and have previous knowledge. Here are my questions:
  1. What is the best order to use these?
  2. How often should I use the 44K and other products.
  3. Any other suggestion from prior good results would be appreciated.
  4. I was going to start using (Seafoam), Or (BG, Air Intake Cleaner) every 3rd oil change or 14,000 miles. Is this a sensible interval?
My eBay Rover Parts Store
http://stores.ebay.com/Mountain-Bike...r-Parts?_rdc=1

Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I guess my first question is how you are going to introduce the fuel injector system cleaner and air intake system cleaner. The method shops use to introduce it is with the BG 9210 Inject-A-Flush® Apparatus http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html .

The 44K just goes in the tank with a 1/2 tank of gas, then fill the tank and let it run as low as possible before filling up again. The other two cans are meant to be delivered via a small nozzle inserted in the air intake hose after the MAF and sprayed under pressure from a compressed air source.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default BG Air Intake cleaner

Thanks lordmorpheus,
I figure my HPLV paint sprayer hooked to my air compressor will replicate that appartus well. I dont think its rocket science, just a good mist of product down the intake and bingo.

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I guess my first question is how you are going to introduce the fuel injector system cleaner and air intake system cleaner. The method shops use to introduce it is with the BG 9210 Inject-A-Flush® Apparatus http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html .

The 44K just goes in the tank with a 1/2 tank of gas, then fill the tank and let it run as low as possible before filling up again. The other two cans are meant to be delivered via a small nozzle inserted in the air intake hose after the MAF and sprayed under pressure from a compressed air source.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Generally the whole procedure of the two cans into the air intake takes just under an hour at our shop, as the BG products introduced as a mist into the engine take a while for the cans to empty. (so plan on more time than the 3 minute SeaFoam through vacuum hose procedure)!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, that is cheap. a can of the 44K is usually $20 alone. I run the 44K every other oil change, or when I am taking a long trip. It works best on the highway driving a while.

I like the BG products better, but seafoam is cheap and readily available.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

B&G far out performs the Seafoam gas additive. Using 1 can of 44K when driven on a couple hour trip, not slow speeds, will do a better job then any other product and no equipment is needed. Their other products are equally as great as the 44K but some do require special equipment.
For doing and induction cleaning, B&G is great and Seafoam does pretty much the same job, when using 1 full can, not a partial can.
In general, depending on the type of driving and quality of gas you are using, an induction cleaning once a year is great and a gas additive once every 6 months to a year depending on how much stop and go driving you do.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the good advice guys. Now I have a better idea on the time frame I should be using these BG products. Time to get a log book for my Rover maintainence intervals!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Thanks for all the good advice guys. Now I have a better idea on the time frame I should be using these BG products. Time to get a log book for my Rover maintainence intervals!

I bought a 1973 Mustang EL Grande from a neighbor in Florida who was the second owner for a short while before selling it to me. The original owner was a Rocket Technician at the Cape who recorded each and every maintenance action taken, right down to what adjustments he made to the carb such as 1/4 turn CCW date , time, and results.

It was a great record from day one until he sold it. The nexy guy did the same then me.