Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ??

Originally Posted by bangkuaidiscovery04
What causes the chirping noises??

It's the LR Sh&^t bird telling you to take it to the dealer.... Another engeneering marvel...Mine is chirping like a blackbird on steroids...it takes about a mile for it to get really loud. It stated out soft and could only be heard inside the cabin. I think its the centering ball but i have been wrong before..... mine has absolutly no play and not a spot of rust..almost new looking... Mine has been sitting in my driveway for over a month as i am too lazy to get to it...or unless i need beer and drive a block up the street to keep the battery charged..

Last edited by vandev; 06-16-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I just got the parts. I am going to pick up a grease gun later. Is there a specific type of grease that I should get?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Rock Crawling

What causes the chirping noises??
When I tore mine apart I had 3 broken needle bearings in the centering ball and it was full of rust (my road floods every spring up to the hood sometimes). The u-joints were fine. I replaced all with American made parts from Autozone (PDQ) brand. I had to sort thru their stock a little bit as some were China supplied.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by vandev
It's the LR Sh&^t bird telling you to take it to the dealer.... Another engeneering marvel...Mine is chirping like a blackbird on seroids...it takes about a mile for it to get really loud. It stated out soft and could only be heard inside the cabin. I think its the centering ball but i have been wrong before..... mine has absolutly no play and not a spot of rust..almost new looking... Mine has been sitting in my driveway for over a month as i am too lazy to get to it...or unless i need beer and drive a block up the street to keep the battery charged..
Lol mine starts as soon as I start the truck, but once it warms up it goes away.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by d2luvr
When I tore mine apart I had 3 broken needle bearings in the centering ball and it was full of rust (my road floods every spring up to the hood sometimes). The u-joints were fine. I replaced all with American made parts from Autozone (PDQ) brand. I had to sort thru their stock a little bit as some were China supplied.
Next paycheck I'm heading to either Autozone/Advanced Auto Parts to buy the parts and install them. Moving to Florida in a couple weeks so need to get everything in order with the truck.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Mudding

Hello gents...long time no see...

Even after you replace the u-joints and the center ball kit, keep an eye on it.

My center ball kit lasted less than a year and it went out when I was driving in the middle of Phoenix. Had to get Irma towed back home. Sounded HORRIBLE. Worse than a bird chirping (though it started that way)...ended up sounding like the damn bird was dying.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Read this thread:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29302

It tells you what you need to know and where to get the parts. Total cost on parts will be less than $80.
Spicer u-joints of the Discovery are NLA.
Do not buy the u-joints and Autozone.
$55 seems really cheap, doesn't sound like they are doing the centering ball for that price. I'd just find a driveline shop to do it for you.
If they don't mark the propshshaft before taking it apart then you'll likely need it rebalanced, and you may anyway.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Lol mine starts as soon as I start the truck, but once it warms up it goes away.
That is your belt chirping not your driveshaft.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 PM
7th Gear
Default The front drive shaft is out

Just a note to say thanks for the help. I pulled the drive shaft tonight. It took a while including a trip to the auto parts store for another 9/16ths wrench, but it is out. Thanks again.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555
That is your belt chirping not your driveshaft.
Something I should fix before a long trip to Florida? Leaving in less than 2 weeks from MI. Got 47K on the truck.

Last edited by bangkuaidiscovery04; 06-17-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Not complete

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shaft