Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front / Timing Cover Leak / Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

oil cooler - From RAVE: Engine oil cooler (Only applicable to vehicles up to VIN 756821) so you may not have one.

connectors - usually have a squeeze or gentle pry tab - see attached pix from RAVE electrical library. Note pipe in bottom left also. BTW, your engine needs to look like this when you finish (lol)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cover switchs.pdf (132.9 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-31-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if yours is like mine there are two lines to the cover one inlet one outlet.....they are a 7/8ths inch wrench. Be sure to pay attention to the seals that are in there too. you'll need new ones(rubber "O" rings).....good luck hope all goes well.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Timing cover is off... Timing Chain and gears are next. I went ahead and lined up the camshaft and the crankshaft gears, now need to run out and do a few home inspections real quick, I'll be back to it in a few hours.

It's 55 degrees here in the suburbs of Chicago and I'm looking to take advantage.

Thanks for any help. ttys.

Matt

Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Three Wheeling

got mine back together and what ever I did before I corrected it this time. Oil ligh came on for 5 seconds anf went out. replaced all rubber "O" rings with new ones. Auto Zone has all the "O" rings you need.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MattyMatters
Hello all,

I have a 2002 Disco II with 130,000 miles.

I'm in the middle of doing the front cover gasket replacement as I have a coolant leak coming from the top drivers side of the front/timing cover.

I have the rave manual and viewed as many threads as I can find regarding this topic. I've looked for videos on the web but have found nothing regarding a 4.0 V8 Land Rover engine still in the truck.

I think I'm at the point where your help is needed. I have the viscus fan off, the oil sump and oil pick-up removed and I'm about to go after the Camshaft Nut/Bolt.

I'm taking it slow, one step at a time and appreciate any information you can give as It's my first time working on the engine.

Step I need your help with:

Seal - Cover - Timing Gears

I don't have tool LRT-12-080 and I'm wondering what's the best way to loosen the bolt with an automatic gearbox? Do I need to leave the Serpentine Belt on to allow tension? Can I step on the breaks and use a pry bar? Or do I need to remove the radiator in order to fit an impact gun on it?

I have read all these methods work, just not sure what works best.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
It's really funny because that is the exact spot mine started leaking. I believe the prior owner put some sealant there and it finall let loose...

Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Cleaning - brake cleaner, or some solvent and a brush. Seafoam. WD 40 in a garden sprayer. Kerosene. Point is, lots of things will clean up the visual area, which may make you feel good, and reduce big pieces to come off and clog screen. But the bearing surfaces are not where you can get at them without taking more things apart. Looks like some varnish buildup from long drain intervals (Previous owner). We did have a recent write up by pedronz, a kiwi (NZ), who replaced his bearings with engine at this point. But he had reason to do it with only 20-25 psi oil pressure at speed.

Nice pix, the one toward flywheel shows the teeth that the starter engages, and the reluctor ring with those milled slots, which the crank position sensor picks up as they fly by.

Running Rotella will help clean up some of that over time. Probably more under the valve covers.

My pops says to use a quart of power steering fluid in the oil to help loosen and clean the walls of the engine. He used to do it with his Series I and was wondering if it's still recommended?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

If engine is closed up you can run a variety of solvents to soften gunk so filter will catch it. With it open, you have more freedom, as you can see immediate results, like on the baked on varnish.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Finally able to spend some time on it today:

New developments:

timing chain/gears are off and i'm working on cleaning off the engine block of the old gasket. I've put about an hour into it.

Take a look at the pics and let me know if I'm almost there, if this looks good to start putting everything back together or do I need to bring it to a shinny finish first.

Thanks,

Matt

Attached Thumbnails Front / Timing Cover Leak / Replacement-img_2534.jpg   Front / Timing Cover Leak / Replacement-img_2535.jpg   Front / Timing Cover Leak / Replacement-img_2536.jpg   Front / Timing Cover Leak / Replacement-img_2537.jpg  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Big black clunks in top right area could stand to be knocked out. The rest of the varnish is also present in the rest of your engine, so putting a lot of time in it does not cure the rest. Unless you are making the other area shine also. Looks like you could stand a cooling system flush. Be sure to prime oil pump during re-assembly (vaseline, heavy oil, etc.)

Old 02-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Can any1 tell me what these two holes in my oil tank are for and where I can find a replacement gasket for the one side?

As I dropped the oil tank/pan, i noticed the one rubber seal was shredded and unable to be reused.

Thanks,

Matt

Attached Thumbnails Front / Timing Cover Leak / Replacement-oil-tank-holes.jpg  

Quick Reply: Front / Timing Cover Leak / Replacement