Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel door latch alternatives? [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel door latch alternatives? [PICS]

I just purchased a fuel door latch from AB and the little plastic part snapped when I was trying to attached the thing. My old one is flimsy and will not keep my door close.

Does anyone have a trick for these to stay or to put in on the door? There got to be some alternative way to keep the door close, this is a faulty design by Land Rover.

-
-
-

Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM
TReK

duct tape =)

Old 09-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
duct tape =)
That's what I'm using in the same time

Old 09-19-2009, 06:16 PM
TReK

hahahahahahahaha success!!!

if it were me i woulkd take that plastic piece to a machine shop and have a lightweight aluminum piece made or something from a higher strength plastic

Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought 2 when mine was duff, good job I did as 1 broke as I fitted it. it def is a crap design and not very secure. Im currently thinking of either using a lock assy from a D1, or fitting a locking cap to

Old 09-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Gorilla Glue.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:54 PM
TReK

boogers

Old 02-15-2017, 06:34 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Magnets my friends! Magnets!!!
Head to Home Depot, and grab a $4 packet of cabinet door magnets. They come in different strengths, I recommend the 16 lb. set. The set up is a high power magnet which sits in an included fitting. Said fitting has a hole in the back for an included wood screw to pass through for mounting in the cabinet. I replaced the screw with a 4/40 bolt/washer/nut combo and mounted it right the the metal latch (in place of the crappy plastic latch). I then used some Guerrilla Glue to mount the second magnet and fitting jut behind the actuator. Be sure you have the polarity right, or it will push the fuel door open vs holding it closed. And Viola! No more thinking about a crappy plastic clip that keeps breaking and popping off. Does it lock? Definitely not. Could you pop the locked door open before with slight pressure and a key? YEP! So I wouldn't worry about the security aspect. Anyway... There you go. That's my fix.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by nmacej
Magnets my friends! Magnets!!!
Head to Home Depot, and grab a $4 packet of cabinet door magnets. They come in different strengths, I recommend the 16 lb. set. The set up is a high power magnet which sits in an included fitting. Said fitting has a hole in the back for an included wood screw to pass through for mounting in the cabinet. I replaced the screw with a 4/40 bolt/washer/nut combo and mounted it right the the metal latch (in place of the crappy plastic latch). I then used some Guerrilla Glue to mount the second magnet and fitting jut behind the actuator. Be sure you have the polarity right, or it will push the fuel door open vs holding it closed. And Viola! No more thinking about a crappy plastic clip that keeps breaking and popping off. Does it lock? Definitely not. Could you pop the locked door open before with slight pressure and a key? YEP! So I wouldn't worry about the security aspect. Anyway... There you go. That's my fix.
congrats on bumping possibly one of the oldest threads

Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually ordered 4 plastic clips from AB, but could it also work to cut a small hole in the metal "latch" and have the actuator pin lock into that? It would have to be really accurate and just the right size or the door would wiggle, but it seems that it could work.

Either way, I'm trying the plastic latches first.

Quick Reply: Fuel door latch alternatives? [PICS]