Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel relay, coil relay question 03D2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Fuel relay, coil relay question 03D2

Hello everyone, I need a little help. (03D2) I have replaced my timing chain set, oil pump gear and front seal. I packed the oil pump with vasoline and oil, changed the oil and filled the filter. I now would like to spin the engine to prime it all up and get oil pressure before starting the engine.
I would like to locate the fuel pump relay. I see in my fuse box under the hood one of the relays has a gas pump on it, is that the correct relay to pull? and if so is it the only one I need to pull? also should I pull my coil relays? If so where are they located. I see two relays with an engine with a lighting bolt running through them. Are those the coil relays? If so do I pull them both? I could probably dig and research and find the answers, but it would take me half a day and I need to be working on the truck before it rains again the afternoon. Any help would be appreciated? Thanks

Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Not sure about the relay, but the inertia switch that is at the firewall on passenger side will stop the fuel pump from working but allow the engine to crank.

Black switch mounted in the upper section, has 2 Phillips head screws holding to to the firewall. The top has a rubber cover on it. This is the switch that trips when in an accident or rollover scenario. You push down on the rubber top/ button to reset.

In your case, just disconnect a wire.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the fuel pump relay is next to the washer relay.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by drowssap
the fuel pump relay is next to the washer relay.
Would that be the one with the gas pump on it? and do I need to pull my coil relays also?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default What are R6 & R9 Relay? Coils?

I think I have decided R1 is the fuel relay, so what about coil relay? would that be R6 and R9? I can't find this in the rave and have looked for an hour? I can't get around in there very good? Not too computer savy. I have to wade through page by page. Don't know where the diagram for the fuse/relay block is in the rave?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'll just unplug the inertia switch like abran said for the fuel and then reset it, still don't know about the coils? does it matter if they are firing while I'm spinning the engine with no fuel while priming the oil up? Pink Floyd and I would both like to know "is there anybody out there?" I need to do this asap before the rain. Thanks

Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Just start it up.
If the oil light stays on past 10 seconds, shut it down.
No need for all this ultra caution.

If you want to kill the fuel pump, look in the owners manual for the fuel pump fuse.
Pull it and crank away.

With no pressure in the fuel rail, the truck will not run.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by abran
Not sure about the relay, but the inertia switch that is at the firewall on passenger side will stop the fuel pump from working but allow the engine to crank.

Black switch mounted in the upper section, has 2 Phillips head screws holding to to the firewall. The top has a rubber cover on it. This is the switch that trips when in an accident or rollover scenario. You push down on the rubber top/ button to reset.

In your case, just disconnect a wire.
Abran, I took your advice and disconnected the inertia switch to stop the fuel while I cranked it over till the oil light went out, then plugged it back in and reset it and started it and oil light goes out immediately like one second. So I guess my new oil pump is working.

New oil pump, new timing set, new head gaskets, rebuilt heads, valley gasket, valve cover gaskets, new crank sensor, oil pan gasket, all new hoses, new belt, new 180 gray thermostat, new coolant bottle, new coolant cap, new water pump, bypassed throttle body heater.