Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full power steering flush on Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

My H3 Alpha PS Pump sounded like that when I bought it. I did a flush and used Royal Purple PS Fluid and it completely stopped making noise and never gave me another issue or noise.

Suck some of your PS fluid out and if it looks nasty I'd certainly flush it out.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

I was searching online and my local store doesn't have that same Pentosin that you used. They do list a different Pentosin CHF 202 in a silver can but who knows what application that is for. How do you know which PSF is compatible with D2? Nothing comes up when i do a search for compatibility with D2 at my local Napa parts store. I will check the other big-box retailers as well. I drove it to work for the first time in over a month and I really don't like the new whine noise coming from what's prob the PAS pump. I parked it until I can flush and refill this weekend because it seemed to me I was probably just damaging the pump by continuing to drive it when i probably still have a chance of reversing whatever damage or fluid starvation that is occurring in the pump by flushing it with a dedicated chemical like SeaFTT and running some high quality hydraulic fluid back through it. I can't deal with anymore parts failures; I've had enough of that **** for now.

Last edited by chubbs878; 01-19-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I've always used Pentosin power steering fluid in my Land Rovers, BMWs, Jaguars and VW.
CHF 11S is preferred by Pentosin for cars that are 2005 and older. My Disco is a 2001.
CHF 202 is preferred by Pentosin for cars that are 2006 and newer.
Pentosin - Hydraulic Fluid

The following users liked this post:
Discorama (01-10-2020)
Old 01-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I've always used Pentosin power steering fluid in my Land Rovers, BMWs, Jaguars and VW.
CHF 11S is preferred by Pentosin for cars that are 2005 and older. My Disco is a 2001.
CHF 202 is preferred by Pentosin for cars that are 2006 and newer.
Pentosin - Hydraulic Fluid

that is exactly the information which I was seeking.

hmm. they are fundamentally the same. $6 price difference in favor of the 11s. I type in my vehicle and it gives me the 202. I guess it could go either way but is 1 any better than the other? in regard to the D2?

Last edited by chubbs878; 01-20-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Pro Wrench

$50 to flush the PS pump!? Good gosh. At what point does the whining noise go away? After the SeaFoam?

Attached Thumbnails Full power steering flush on Disco 2-img_2288.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I'd have flushed it with the cheap stuff first, then added the $$ stuff at the end.

That's what I did with mine. I used cheap stuff to flush out the dark and old PS Fluid, then I added my Royal Purple (fully compatible with all PS Systems) at the end so as to not waste the $$ stuff.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Pro Wrench

BS50MGSXR helped me with the PS pump flush with TransTune & refill with CHS11s/Lucas Conditioner. 4-hours and $50 fluids later, same whiney baby pump. The steering was/is still fine but screaming at me every second, nonetheless! Maybe the pump is at least happy enough to continue operating for a good while. There was a lot of black foreign material like hose or seal breakdown and shiny metal flakes on the reservoir filter that took some doing to clean out but it's clean as we were ever going to get it in 1-day. After we emptied and cleaned the reservoir inside & out, reconnected the supply hose and routed the return hose to a catch jug. Next, several ounces of SeaFoam was added, started engine for a few secs and discharged the original fluid that remained in the system. Reconnected return hose & ran engine for a few minutes after adding the whole can of TransTune, turning wheels lock-to-lock several times. Finally, loosened bleed screw, attached clear hose to catch jug, started engine and watched the fill level of SeaFoam TransTune go down as it was being expelled via bleed port on steering box and as it crept close to the very bottom of reservoir/supply hose exit the Pentosin was added until the clear hose went from showing red to the new green. Cut the engine, remove hose, tighten bleed screw, clean up and add the whole can of Pentosin. Started engine again and added the Lucas (3/4 of bottle) until fill line of reservoir was reached. I really hoped the noise would go away but there must be too much internal damage of the pump. Thanks to the OP; this post was right on time and I would have never thought to flush.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:35 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Very good write up. The only objection I can see is the reference to the various 'snake oils' in the text but everyone to their own beliefs, if you believe in them c'est la vie.

I tend to use either good PAS oil or autobox oil as PAS fluid.

PAS was around and working OK long before additives.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

One silly way I found to bleed the PAS lines without starting the engine is to crack the bleeder on the steering box, and then blow into the PAS reservoir with your mouth creating positive pressure. I was able to add another quart of fluid haha

The following users liked this post:
Mskembo (07-29-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I did this today and can tell the difference. I have always been a fan of sea foam and royal purple products and that's what I use in my other vehicles and run a can of sea foam through my tank every 3 months.....but back to the topic. I did use the sea foam hydratune and then after sucking everything out, I removed the air filter housing and unclipped the power steering resivoir lines and remove it and cleaned it the best I could. I then put it back on and reattached the lines and filled it with regular Lucas power steering fluid. I figured I would start with the cheaper stuff. After it hit the low mark, I added the penatosin and continued the flush until it was showing that fluid. Then I did add a bit of the Lucas power steering conditioner BC I did the flush on my work car too and split the bottle in half. My wife even said while she was turning the wheel, she could tell a difference. It steers like a dream now after I did all the driving around. It's a great write up and thanks for making it a sticky.

Quick Reply: Full power steering flush on Disco 2