Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUNNY NOISE when I let off the gas on FREEWAY and during braking....

Old 01-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by schwaggy
Yes! I'm sorry you're not getting it...
Read the threads. You need to do this or it will fail and most likely take the tranny with it. It doesn't matter what kind of driving you do or don't do.
I was reading on the Lucky8 forum this writeup. When I got to the part about no lift and the "stock type" shaft, I was not sure if they mean just stay with the original shaft. I also read most failures of the shaft are off-road, under heavy load and/or high speed. Lastly, if every Disco needs to have this replaced, I would have expected a recall. I understand it's just a gamble and $228 is better than thousands repairing a busted tranny.

From the Lucky 8 Website http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=7594
Description: Tom Wood's offers a variety of drive shafts for the Land Rover applications ranging through the conventional two joint drive shaft, the conventional double cardan and a multiple double cardan drive shaft. If you have no lift on the vehicle, you are probably best served with the stock type drive shaft. If you have a lift on the vehicle you may want to consider a different design like this double cardan.

Now I understand they were pointing me to this shaft:
http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=7603

Thanks!

Last edited by jamieb; 01-29-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Off roading has nothing to do with it really. It might quicken the OEM Drive Shafts death, but it is gonna happen no matter what. It isn't recalled because it is a maintenance item. Pretty sure it's listed in the service manual under scheduled service (inspect drive shaft/drive train). Land Rover's are not the only vehicles on the road with drive shafts that wear out.

It is a wear n tear item. It comes from the factory with zero grease fittings, it's mounted by a very hot catalytic converter, and yours has luckly been changed once however it looks as if no one ever lubed it, and my guess is all the ujoints are without grease, your center ball is probably on it's last leg, and it's just a matter of time before the chirping stops, you think for a brief second oh well that fixed itself & then BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM, and you come to a dead stop, transmission fluid is gushing out, and instead of 228.00 you're stuck with a much much bigger, and time consuming repair.

I say toss that rusty piece of crap like I did (I DID NOT HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH THAT DRIVESHAFT & it's probably made out of chinese parts...), and get yourself the servicable unit from Lucky8, then at each oil change pump the zerk fittings with grease & no more issue. 8 bolts, remove it, fully lube new drive shaft, 8 bolts, and install. Quick & simple.

LR folks make this drive shaft design out to be crappy, but look at Jeeps or H3's. They have CV style drive shafts that can't flex well especially after a lift, the boot tears, grease flies out which allows water/dirt/mud in and it fails. Those folks spend $$$ on a drive shaft that looks just like our D2 drive shafts, with the exception they of coarse come with zerk fittings, but it's not OEM so of coarse it'll have zerk fittings.

Only vehicles I've ever owned that gave you 10,000 zerk fittings were Toyota/Mitsubishi.

Last edited by Best4x4; 01-29-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Winching

Just to avoid confusion - I am not the original poster. That is not my truck. I just jumped into the thread with some questions. My drive shaft looks like new. I replaced one rusted U-joint last year. My truck is babied. :-)

Just wanted to be sure you weren't looking at the OP's photos and mixing them up with me. I plan to replace the shaft pretty soon, though.

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Off roading has nothing to do with it really. It might quicken the OEM Drive Shafts death, but it is gonna happen no matter what. It isn't recalled because it is a maintenance item. Pretty sure it's listed in the service manual under scheduled service (inspect drive shaft/drive train). Land Rover's are not the only vehicles on the road with drive shafts that wear out.

It is a wear n tear item. It comes from the factory with zero grease fittings, it's mounted by a very hot catalytic converter, and yours has luckly been changed once however it looks as if no one ever lubed it, and my guess is all the ujoints are without grease, your center ball is probably on it's last leg, and it's just a matter of time before the chirping stops, you think for a brief second oh well that fixed itself & then BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM, and you come to a dead stop, transmission fluid is gushing out, and instead of 228.00 you're stuck with a much much bigger, and time consuming repair.

I say toss that rusty piece of crap like I did (I DID NOT HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH THAT DRIVESHAFT & it's probably made out of chinese parts...), and get yourself the servicable unit from Lucky8, then at each oil change pump the zerk fittings with grease & no more issue. 8 bolts, remove it, fully lube new drive shaft, 8 bolts, and install. Quick & simple.

LR folks make this drive shaft design out to be crappy, but look at Jeeps or H3's. They have CV style drive shafts that can't flex well especially after a lift, the boot tears, grease flies out which allows water/dirt/mud in and it fails. Those folks spend $$$ on a drive shaft that looks just like our D2 drive shafts, with the exception they of coarse come with zerk fittings, but it's not OEM so of coarse it'll have zerk fittings.

Only vehicles I've ever owned that gave you 10,000 zerk fittings were Toyota/Mitsubishi.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieb
Just to avoid confusion - I am not the original poster. That is not my truck. I just jumped into the thread with some questions. My drive shaft looks like new. I replaced one rusted U-joint last year. My truck is babied. :-)

Just wanted to be sure you weren't looking at the OP's photos and mixing them up with me. I plan to replace the shaft pretty soon, though.
No confusion

Old 01-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 02-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daedrix
From the looks of it i think you might need a new drive shaft. Your u joints might be going bad. When you let off the gas there is less tension on the shaft an therefore the u joint has room to move and make noise if they are worn. I had similar noise when my front shaft was failing. i doubt your joints have been serviced plus i can only see 1 service point which looks like a hi pressure service point on the shaft. You can try rebuild your shaft if thats the culprit or buy a new one.

FYI this is what my u joint looked like when it made noise.
So I was thinking about replacing the complete front drive shaft, lot of different places are selling them for about $200.00 and then Atlatnic British is selling them for $849.00, whats up with that?

Can you recommend a good brand... No Chinese stuff

Old 02-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 2004DISCO
So I was thinking about replacing the complete front drive shaft, lot of different places are selling them for about $200.00 and then Atlatnic British is selling them for $849.00, whats up with that?

Can you recommend a good brand... No Chinese stuff
Lucky8. Around $246 shipped.
http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=7603

Last edited by jamieb; 02-04-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2004DISCO
I also think its the U joints but need to be certain before I start removing parts. Can I just replace my joints without replacing my entire drive shaft? Do they come off easy?

Looks like you did TONS of work to your Discovery, I checked out your photos. GOOD JOB man.
Finally got the Drive Shaft off and let me tell you this thing is destroyed, not sure how I drove it for as long as I did ... I will post a video of it soon.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lucky8 front shaft

I just had to replace min as well not to long ago and I picked up the one for lucky 8 as well. they ship it ready to go all greased up and balanced. just slap on the new one and your golden.

The following users liked this post:
2004DISCO (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Drifting

Check out the video off how bad my drive shaft was, U joints rather. Surprised it didn't break off... I plan on buying a complete front drive shaft.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FUNNY NOISE when I let off the gas on FREEWAY and during braking....