Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Box front output flange

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gear Box front output flange

04' gear box, should there be any play on the front output flange where it enters into the gear box? I'm hearing some kind of chattering noise, that I thought was coming from my front passenger side brake caliber. But after checking around, if I grab my front drive shaft by the rear where it enters into the gear box it is a little sloppy, not the u-joint but the actual flange. Almost kinda sounds like a bearing starting to go bad.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Also this only happens when I let off on the gas and start to slow down. It does not make the noise when driving around.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

it should not be that sloppy and that decel. noise is indicative of bearing failure. i think you have pinpointed the issue

Old 12-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Is that something the average mechanic can do, I need to replace front u-joints anyways?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

It can be a bear to remove, but doable. I didn't have a lot of trouble, but I had the whole case out.
Any mechanic should be up to the task

Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Dusty is right. RAVE page 41-6 shows the front flange and shaft components and the offending bearing.

It's best to drop the box but it may be able to be done insitu, don't know. Any good 4x4 mechanic should be able to replace the front bearing on a LT230 but probably better at an LR garage rather than a 'do it all' workshop.

Does sound like a bearing if it's noisy on the overrun. Don't leave it too long in case it breaks up in place and then your troubles will be multiplied tenfold.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A new bearing has a very slight play. Like you can't see it move, but you can feel it move in your hand if you try to wiggle the drive shaft near the flange. It's very slight, almost not perceptible. It can be replaced with the transfer case in place. But you need the right tools. A garage with jacks, so you can get under the truck and work in a safe manner.

Remove the drive shaft first. Having the special tool is nice but it can be done with just two 9/16 wrenches. The slimmer the wrench the better. Then remove the nut holding the output flange in place. 30 mm socket I think. Then Pry off the seal and discard. Then using a strong pair of snap ring pliers, remove the snap ring keeping the bearing in place. You need good strong snap ring pliers, the snap ring is pretty thick. Once the snap ring is off, place the flange back on the shaft and put the nit back without tightening it. Fit a slide hammer puller with a suitable attachment on the flange. There's plenty of space where the driveshaft used to be, but be careful not to scrape your knuckles on the catalytic converter. With the right setup, the bearing is quite easy to get out. Once it's on your bench, use a puller to remove the bearing from the shaft.

Once the bearing is off, it's the reverse procedure to put a new one back in. Use a brass pin and a hammer to gently drive the bearing back on the shaft, and then the bearing and shaft back in the transfer case. put the snap ring back in place, then use the old seal to drive the new seal in. Clean the flange and put a light coat of oil on it, then put it in on the shaft. Tighten the nut, install the driveshaft, and you're done.

The following users liked this post:
diggerod (12-22-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Mudding
The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Mudding

Oh and I forgot, the seal is there to keep the oil in the transfer case. When you remove the seal, the oil pours in your hair, unless you drop the oil first. Don't ask me how I know...

Old 12-21-2014, 03:51 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowest Bidder
Oh and I forgot, the seal is there to keep the oil in the transfer case. When you remove the seal, the oil pours in your hair, unless you drop the oil first. Don't ask me how I know...
Like it, cheap Brylcreem

Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7qixzNmiT1qzsrxjo1_1280.jpg

Quick Reply: Gear Box front output flange