Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Fortera - Tire Inquery?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Goodyear Fortera - Tire Inquery?

Hoping I can get some tire input.

About 3 months ago I replaced the worn-out 16” stock Michelin tires on my 2003 Disco with a set of Goodyear Fortera / Silent Armor.

As a tire goes, I’m impressed. They ride strong and stable (but not too hard) and are very quiet. My gas mileage improved slightly and they seem appropriate for the amount of onroad vs. off road driving I do.

I’ve put 3,600 miles on them (rotated once). The tread looks like it’s wearing properly and even. The sidewalls are holding up great and they hold air pressure very well.

Issue- Really disappointed because the tire is performing so well. I noticed the rubber located deep between the treads looks like a 3 year old tire. Very cracked and withered. I drove the vehicle to the tire dealer, he agreed that something is definitely wrong with the tires and is contacting Goodyear for more information on Monday.

It’s likely that I’ll be getting replacements from Goodyear.

Has anyone else had problems with Goodyear tires on Discos or have any experience with the Fortera? Is there a better model of Goodyear for the Discovery?

MWmG

Old 11-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Goodyear Fortera - Tire Inquery?

It's all all the salt sea air you have to put up with!!!!
Just kidding, but on't get your hopes up on tire replacement from Good Year, not for that sort of cracking.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Mudding

Thanks Mike for all of your help and contributions on this site.

Your knowledge and guidance has certainly made a difference in the performance of my Disco.

I'll try putting SPF30 sunscreen in between the treads!!! As for the "salt air"; would you like a bottle or a can?

Appreciated,
MWmG

Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Mudding

The Goodyear rep looked at my tires and agreed that something is definitely wrong with the Fortera tires on my Discovery (even with the towing I do). Fortunately, Goodyear is replacing / issuing me a generous mileage credittowards the purchase of any tire intheGoodyear tire lineup.

I see suggestions in the LR Forum for the Wrangler Silent Amour. Any reviews or comments available from users?

I’m currently running 255 65R 16. The WSA isn’t available in that size.

DiscoMike: LR search - I see you recommend 245 75R 16 for a stock Disco. The Wrangler SA spec sheetapproves the tire for rims 6.5-7.5". Ibelieve my Disco rim is 8". Any conscerns about the 1/2"?

Thanks,
MWmG

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...=&sidewall=

Old 11-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is it a consensus that the Fortera tires are flawed in general, or just your batch of tires? I'm curious as to why you didn't replace like for like.

I've got those same exact tires, I'll have to check tonight.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The 245 works well on an 8" wheel.
As for the peoblem mentioned, I bet it is a minor issue with a batch of tires, I haven't seen any other write up for a major issue.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Mudding

The GR rep stated that this premature aging is unusual and isNOT an issue with the Fortera tire. It was the first time he had seen it. He really had no explanation for the cause, but validated that something is definitely wrong.

I do like the Fortera. They’re very quiet, ride well and my mileage improved very slightly. I’m standing on the fence about transitioning to another tire and/or size. For what I do with my truck the Fortera works well. It's likely that I'll continue using the product.

I would just keep an eye on your tires. No worries (yet).

** I never actually spoke with the rep. All information was relayed to me second hand.

MWmG

Old 11-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Mudding

Do you have the option to cash-out of the Goodyears alltogether? If you do, you might want to consider these Michelin LTX M/S http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=LTX+M%2FS

The LTX M/S are awesome do it all tires. I put about 34k on a 98 Grand Cherokee before it was lease-returned and they were only half worn! I was so impressed with thier overall performance I installed another set on my 2000 GC, got 21k on those and they look barely worn. They stick like glue, they're quiet, awesome wet weather traction, I never experienced hydroplaning with them. And my Laredo with part-time selected on the Selec-Trac out manuvred my mom's GoodyearshodLimited with Quadra-Drive in the snow!The Quadra-Driveis supposedly a far superior 4x4 system. My Laredo was tracking true and sure-footed through the snow while my mom's Limited was floundering...I put it down to the tires.

I was really disapointed to discover that they don't make them for the 18" rims on my Disco II, so I ended up getting the Yokohama Geolanders instead. Real happy with those too, but judging by the tread pattern, I don't expect them to do as well as the Michelin LTX M/S in the mud and snow. But afterall that's what M/S stands for.

Anyway DeepBlue, if you have the option, check out the LTX's...they make them in your size.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the tip Fonzie- the credit is aGoodyear credit only. I'll likely staywith the same tire. My other choice would be the Wrangler SA, but they don't seem to make them for the 16x8 rims.

MWmG

Old 11-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling

[quote]ORIGINAL: Fonzie

II ended up getting the Yokohama Geolanders instead. Real happy with those too, but judging by the tread pattern,

Hey fonzie, I bought my first Rover a couple months back and it came with 17" Geolanders.
It has yet to snow here in Illinois this year so I've not made a judgment on snow performance.
I'm with you on the reluctant part. We should compare notes down the road.
As far as Good Year....I've had very bad luck with them over the years on my 4x4's.
Every setGY I've had has had premature dry rot and broken sidewall belts.
I've had the best luck with BFG/ AT's and Mich. I usually get 70 to 80k milesout ofthose brands.
dk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goodyear Fortera - Tire Inquery?