Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Used Mityvac for Brake Bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone Used Mityvac for Brake Bleeding? Now Which Motive Adapter to Use on D2?

I'm looking for a good one-man brake bleed kit for my '03. Has anyone used a Mityvac with success? What is your experience and is there anything I should watch out for? Is the optional brake bleed kit necessary or would one of the tubes that comes with the Mityvac fit the bleed nipple?

Thanks.
Alan

Last edited by Disco Alan; 05-12-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear

I've used the Mityvac bleeder, and it works OK. The down side is that you are sucking the caliper piston back while pulling fluid through the lines with the Mityvac. This makes it hard to get the pedal at the top of it's stroke because it has to pinch the gap between the pads and rotor before developing pressure. A better alternative is a simple hydraulic checkvalve clamped on the end of a rubber tube then pushed over the bleeder screw. As you depress the pedal, the brake fluid pushes the check valve open. When you release the pedal, the check valve seats to prevent air from coming back in the bleeder. Make sure you push the pedal down SLOWLY so the fluid force does not push the tubing off the bleeder while you're in the drivers seat!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Saw one of these bleeders used on TV this weekend. And they show a "European" version.
http://store.motiveproducts.com/shar...unt2=327079415

Old 05-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Use or pressure bleeder or find a friend, don't use what you are talking about.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Three Wheeling

I just used one for my brakes. Save your self 30 bucks and have friend help. Had to get the wife to do it the old way

Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Mudding

I considered getting a Motive pressure bleeder. From my research on this forum there is great confusion on which master cylinder adapter should be used on the 2-tab version on D2. Apparently Motive's website lists the wrong part so I'm quite concerned.
Anyone knows the correct Motive adapter number for the 2-tab M/C on D2?

Last edited by Disco Alan; 05-12-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:09 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the Power bleeder with great success on my D1. Really simple to use. Fill the bottle with brake fluid, pump up the pressure to about 10 pounds and then go to the wheel and bleed it. I use a turkey baster to suck a bunch of the old fluid out of the master cylinder then refilled it with new before I started thinking it would save time. Can't really say for sure whether it did or not. I used a bottle with a magnetic to catch the fluid so I could go work on other stuff while it bled and just check it once in a while to make sure the bottle wasn't full and what color the fluid was.

The European adapter should fit your D2 also.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Mudding

From what I gathered the Euro adapter (screw type) won't fit the D2 (push and turn 2 tab). People have used the universal one but need to fabricate a part to go over the cap. I won't rule this out but if I'm paying good money for a new bleeder I want it to fit right out of the box.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I call the contraption you're talking about and that was because he had the import fitting rather than the European. Import means Japan, Korea, etc. European mean European including UK.

Last edited by AK Rover; 05-12-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Mudding

Yes AK I see the distinction. The Motive website doesn't actually list an "Import" adapter so I think the "Import" adapter is in fact the "Universal" adapter which is listed as the correct one for Disco on their application guide. I just checked on my other late model european vehicle and the cap is different from the cap of the D2 so I'm pretty sure the Motive Euro screw-type cap won't work on the D2.

If I don't see any positive response I'll probably open a new thread and ask specifically if anyone has used a Motive on a D2 without modification and if so, which adapter was used.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Used Mityvac for Brake Bleeding?