Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hay all coming back at ya

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 03:03 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hay all coming back at ya

I sold my 2002 land rover discovery 2 a couple of years ago as I was frustrated with the vehicle mostly because I did not buy well it just had too many issues and I had my head turned by a wrangler (LJ) that was complete and ready for the trails. I just had to upgrade the tie rod to handle the larger wheels and lift it had. The gears were already upgraded as was the axle. I hit lots of trails around the Ouray CO area the last two years. Have had a great time and appreciate what the jeep can do. It has a 4 inch lift, 33's, upgraded gears, upgraded tie rod and drag link etc.. But I have missed the Discovery more then I thought. I have decided to sell the jeep and have another attempt at a Discovery 2. I am willing to spend up to what I got for my jeep if it makes since.

I was thinking about going with a rebuilt type solution. There is a company here in Oklahoma City that will put in a cannibal v8 and add other options then sell as a package. The engine has a 18 month warranty but the rest of the vehicle does not. So still very important that I get as clean of a vehicle as possible.

They suggest a 2 inch OME HD lift and 32's. I have heard from some people that the 255/85/16 is a better choice which is technically a 33. My understanding is that they would upgrade the drive shafts and u joints so that should handle 33's. As far as the gears I think they are not upgraded as part of the package. Obviously I could pay extra. I have seen very conflicting posts on this.

I would love to know if anyone is running a 2inch HD lift with stock gears and have switched between both 32's to the taller 255/85/16 or vice versa.

What size gears are people upgrading to if they upgrade? 4.11 is what my jeep had with her 33's. But I understand they are not apples to apples vehicles. The jeep was hard to cruise at faster then 65 on highway even at that gear.

Does the Disco need to upgrade the tie rod as well when you do a 2 inch HD lift? I know on the jeep it was considered important.

Anyone here gone with a complete solution from Cannibal here in OKC? Happy?

It seems that most disco owners feel that the 2 inch HD lift and 32's will pretty much take you anywhere. Anyone run that setup do much trailing around the Ouray area? Any trails you had issues with? I know allot has to do with your approach and technique but any regrets with that setup for that area?

I am hoping to move up there this next summer so I am very interested in getting the setup right.

I am hoping to do a much better job this time around.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

seeing as you are in Oklahoma why not try Great plains Rovers in Oklahoma.
they offer the only 3-years 36k mile warranty in the business, for less.

here is an ebay listing but i would call and talk with the owner he is a site member.
Land Rover Engine Remanufactured 4 6 Long Block w Flanged Cylinder Liners | eBay

Old 11-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
seeing as you are in Oklahoma why not try Great plains Rovers in Oklahoma.
they offer the only 3-years 36k mile warranty in the business, for less.

here is an ebay listing but i would call and talk with the owner he is a site member.
Land Rover Engine Remanufactured 4 6 Long Block w Flanged Cylinder Liners | eBay
Good to know. I will look into it. Thank you for the link. Only issue is that I currently do not have a disco at all. I am looking. I will have some cash from the money I get for the jeep but minus what I owe. Might not be enough to buy a disco then pay for repairs. That is one of the reasons I was interested in a total build type solution. Of course they do that as well I have no idea until I ask.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Mudding

Is OKRovers the local rover group here in Central Oklahoma?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Mudding

Or Red Dirt Rovers?