Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket replacement and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:46 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure your oil separator at the top of the valve covers is clean and in good condition. A whole lot easier to get to when everything is apart. A blockage can cause some of issues.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Great advice man. I had the intake and valve covers cleaned(in a parts bath and ultrsonically) while the heads were being re worked. I did notice the screws on the interior of the valve covers and will clean those and replace what needs replacing on that. Thanks for that idea and keep em coming

Old 12-09-2016, 05:30 PM
Pro Wrench

Finally got a little time to get some work done. Got one head on. Woo hoo.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:19 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Finally got a little time to get some work done. Got one head on. Woo hoo.
yesssssss! Nice and clean!

Old 12-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Yea now I'm hoping to get the other one on but I'm waiting on all the intake stuff n lift parts to get back from powdercoat. Then I'll have to gunk the ever lovin crap out of the bottom half of the engine to get all the old gunk build up

Old 12-09-2016, 06:55 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Yea now I'm hoping to get the other one on but I'm waiting on all the intake stuff n lift parts to get back from powdercoat. Then I'll have to gunk the ever lovin crap out of the bottom half of the engine to get all the old gunk build up
Gunk? Use engine degreaser then power wash it. I do that all the time. I cleaned up all the parts above the gasket. Sparkling! But, no time to clean the thottle and the rest of the accessories so when I installed everything back, the entire engine still looked crap. I forgot it will be all covered eventually. Haha!
good luck!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Hate to start the oil debate again but need advice

Gunk....the engine degreaser. I'll spray the entire engine when I get it all together. I got the intakes and a few pulleys and the valve covers powdercoated in black wrinkle which looks like line-x so I don't want to mess that up but i want the rest of the engine nice and clean. Previous took good care Maitenance wise but not astestically under the hood. I'm gonna use some royal purple hps oil for the first few oil changes to help get the internals clean that I couldn't get clean. I got the caps of the pistons done today with a rag, pb blaster n elbow grease. I hate to start an old war but I'm looking at using royal purple hps 10w-40 and I know a lot of people use rotella 15w-40. Please elaborate on the purpose of using this diesel oil instead of a regular Dino oil or a royal purple synthetic hps with a high zzdp content. I hate to start the debate but just wanted some good info. I did order so magnecor 8mm plug wires and debating on using what type of plugs. I'm not looking at the bosh platinum +4 but a conventional gapped plug just because of all the dang ethanol. Also what is the size of bolts for the back of the cylinder head on the passenger side that the lifting plate hooks too

Old 12-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench

I think I have to find another oil fill tube and cap because I think the head shop misplaced them. Gonna check the local pull a part n eBay. Anybody got any good leads

Old 12-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I think I have to find another oil fill tube and cap because I think the head shop misplaced them. Gonna check the local pull a part n eBay. Anybody got any good leads
Where in AL are you? The pull-a-part in Chattanooga has 2 discos. Their prices are great.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Just south of bham. Smack dab in the middle between bham and montgomery. The bham one has been keeping some in stock recently. I was actually able to get all new rear ac vents and some sunroof motors that look like they never were used. I keep a check to see if they get a 2004 so I can get the cdl cable. But I'm look for a new center console in bahama beige or black with the tabs still in tact for the switches. I've done a fix with epoxy and sheet metal now but I'd like one in pristine condition.

Quick Reply: Head gasket replacement and what else?