Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket replacement and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Well finally had a bit more time to get some stuff done. Besides getting my *** reamed for doing this during Christmas n my wife taking all my money for my "toy" as she calls it, got the other head on and actually got the lower intake on. Got it back from powder coating and went with a gloss black wrinkle on those and gloss black on the pulleys and black ceramic on the exhaust manifolds and heat shields.
Tomorrow I'm gonna try to get the throttle body assembled without teaching my son new curse words

Old 12-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench

I can't get the upper intake put on till after Christmas when my injectors get here. I'll be ready for that. I'm thinking a set of king borne 7mm wires and ngk plugs that way if they foul it won't be so damn expensive

Old 12-19-2016, 12:07 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
I can't get the upper intake put on till after Christmas when my injectors get here. I'll be ready for that. I'm thinking a set of king borne 7mm wires and ngk plugs that way if they foul it won't be so damn expensive
Its been cold lately and never had chance to install my newly fabricated coil relocation bracket. Im moving them, tired of getting in the firewall. Thought about this after i installed my HG when misfires all over started. Well all went well though and passed inspection here. Hope you figured out the green wires.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Pro Wrench

I sent you a pm but I honestly think the are bolted to the lower intake on the rear bolts for the fuel rail. They are right close to the fuel injector connectors. I haven't had time to really look at it lately and tomorrow and Wednesday are my off days but I'm headed to Nashville to meet a guy to get some parts. Anybody need a new left side exhaust manifold at a good price? Brand new and a factory Land Rover part

Old 12-19-2016, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm still waiting on my injectors so that has me a
bit set back from finishing everything. I did get the lower intake installed and will get the valve covers on wensday hopefully. Then maybe it might be warm enough to break out the pressure washer and get the gunk of the front of the lower engine. After all the engine is done, I'm seriously debating having the roof line-x'd so I won't have to worry about leaks (minus your standard sun roof issues and I can remove the plastic bits from the drip rails

Old 12-19-2016, 11:20 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

This brings back scary memories! I just buttoned up a very neglected 02 I got for 1K with a blown head gasket. Ended up getting new head gasket, injectors, coils, plugs, wires, tensioner, idler pulleys, water pump, radiator, thermostat (180 soft spring), hoses, and the front driveshaft while it was down. It took a while, glad its over, your redone parts look good!

Old 12-20-2016, 12:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

I just got some good ideas here. Your lower intake mani didn't happen to resemble mine in any way? I had a lot of oil up in the top plenum and here it is all baked into the lower and cyl heads too

Attached Thumbnails Head gasket replacement and what else?-image.jpeg  
Old 12-20-2016, 01:02 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My gasket in your pic had oil like that on it too, but no bubbling or burn like that. However my headgasket blow was external (exhaust leak from cylinder to outside world) so no overheating ever occurred, under that gasket is just a valley where the pushrods, lifters and cam live. My lower gasket did leave residue on my heads so it was not in the best of shape

Old 12-20-2016, 01:28 AM
Pro Wrench

Mine looked good just had a bit of carbon in it but it's all clean now. I'll have to snap a pic of it on there now. I at least got it put on the other day before the weather rained me out

Old 12-20-2016, 01:31 AM
Pro Wrench

If you were referring to the lower intake/valley gasket, it was the black coated ones and was fine when I took it off but messing around with it caused the black coating to crack and come off. I was leaving it on there just to help keep stuff out of it. Once I removed it and sent the heads off to be reworked and decked, I covered the engine in plastic to help keep crud out. It's been windy in central Alabama

Quick Reply: Head gasket replacement and what else?