Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gaskets - special tools required?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gaskets - special tools required?

Just went out to start PB-soaking manifold & hg bolts, and I'm starting to envision a few challenges:

1. head bolts at #7 & #8: doesn't appear to be much room to work near the firewall. Do you guys use some sort of universal-joint socket adapter to get leverage back there?

2. exhaust manifold bolts: they are severely rusted, and I can't imagine that getting these off will be an easy job. They appear to be 12-point bolts. I have a couple of questions:

a. what's the right tool to get these off? Are Craftsman sockets still the best out there? Any tricks to getting these out?

b. the lower manifold-to-head bolts appear to be difficult to get at. What's the best tool for that job?

3. Regarding the #7 & #8 head bolts - can whatever you guys recommend for question #1 be attached to a torque wrench?

4. I read a reference to wrapping teflon plumber's tape around the new bolts. I don't think that this is necessary/recommended, but can you guys comment, please?

5. Does removing the hood make this job easier?

Thanks in advance, guys,
Steve

Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Use a 5/8 IMPACT socket, with a short extension & breaker bar and you'll be fine for those head bolts.

Also, while not required, it's REALLY nice to have the official rover fan clutch tool set. I had removed & installed my clutch about 10 times before I broke down and bought the tool set, it really sucks that bad.

Also, DO NOT use any sort of sealer or tape on the head bolts - just a really light coating of clean engine oil.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes on hood, but not required. No on teflon tape. Small torch for heat on rusted manifold bolts plus PB Blaster soaking. Fire extinguisher at hand. Breaker bar is handy (24 inch, and maybe a cheater pipe).

Think of it this way, somewhere on the planet, under a tree in the bush of Africa maybe, another owner is wondering the same thing, and store is 1000 miles away.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms

Also, while not required, it's REALLY nice to have the official rover fan clutch tool set. I had removed & installed my clutch about 10 times before I broke down and bought the tool set, it really sucks that bad.
Thanks! I bought one of those when I did my water pump. You're right - turned what could've been a nightmare into a 5 minute task.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:54 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Here are some real pictures for getting out the back cylinder head bolts..

click on the flickr links inside this page

1997 Land Rover replace catalytic converter and head gaskets

On my D2 someone before me bashed in the firewall.
That was disturbing.

But it helped too.

Pictures of D2 head gasket repair

Flickr: Landroverdude2's Photostream

For engine codes try this site:

http://enginecodemaster.com

Best,
J