Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner down. Rear sunroof won't budge with an allen head socket wrench

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Headliner down. Rear sunroof won't budge with an allen head socket wrench

I checked the front roof/motor assembly first to see what direction to attempt, and get an idea of how much force it should take. I then went to the rear sunroof, and found that with significantly more force, the rear sunroof will not move. I am using a properly sized allen head socket in a 3/8" drive socket wrench,....I have tried a bit of attempting to move it in BOTH directions go see if it might loosen up. No luck.

BTW, the sunroof never skipped a beat until one day,....it just would not open. So,.....apparently, the last time I closed it, something went wrong when it closed. I also now have a leak around the rear sunroof,.....the drain tray is filling up,......not draining,....thats why I have pulled my headliner down.

Anyone experienced this? Suggestions.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

So, the glass runs on these little plastic "runners" in a track in 5 he assembly. If those runners are broken ( as most D2's with higher mileage are) the sunroof will not move, and if it does, it's not going to move very far. If your headliner is down , try to look for those runners.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:29 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not experienced a stuck sunroof; however, you have already done the hard part getting the headliner out. I would recommend removing both sunroof assemblies from the truck and inspecting / rebuilding them.

I was first worried about removing them for fear of difficulty getting them back together, but it turns out they are simple to work on.

This way you can also replace the seal between the sunroof flange and the metal roof of the truck. My seals were old and crusty and in need of replacement. I could not tell this until I removed them.