Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. Drivers door will only open from inside,..door apart and all looks OK

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:26 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
There is a small bent round linkage that goes from the handle to the actuator. It connects to a white threaded piece of plastic for adjustment which connects to a metal piece on the actuator.

When you did assembled, did you see this part?

That is is what I described, did you find it?

Old 10-26-2016, 04:17 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
That is is what I described, did you find it?
Yes, as I mentioned, I don't have the short piece with a 90 degree at both ends (Rave shows that on rear doors),....I have the longer piece bent 90 degrees at the top and threaded into white plastic at the bottom (not bent 90 degrees)

So, what now guys?

Old 10-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Trade it in for an LR3...

1- adjustment is off on rod. Need to make it taller so unscrew from white plastic.

2- white plastic threads are stripped and when you pull on the handle it just slides in the plastic.

That's all I got

Old 10-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is pretty simple stuff.

Does the linkage move when you pull the handle from the outside? (might be easier to have someone else pull it while you observe)

If no, the handle is broken. If yes, see below.

Detach the linkage from the handle. Use a screwdriver to trip the latch as if the door were closed. Can you pull the linkage far enough to open the latch? (may need to pull on the latch while pulling the linkage) If yes, your linkage is out of adjustment or stripped. If no, your door latch is damaged and needs to come out for repair or replacement.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by squirt
This is pretty simple stuff.

Does the linkage move when you pull the handle from the outside? (might be easier to have someone else pull it while you observe)

If no, the handle is broken. If yes, see below.

Detach the linkage from the handle. Use a screwdriver to trip the latch as if the door were closed. Can you pull the linkage far enough to open the latch? (may need to pull on the latch while pulling the linkage) If yes, your linkage is out of adjustment or stripped. If no, your door latch is damaged and needs to come out for repair or replacement.
Squirt, I got it down to the length of the rod being too short,.....I started a new thread,....as I wasn't able to turn the rod to adjust length. Eventually got the rod to turn with vice grips from outside,...through the door handle hole,.....took 5 or 6 complete turns of the rod to get it to work. Has me thinking someone was in the door working on or replacing something and somewhow messed up the length on re-assembly.

Long story short,....it now works,..........however,.......I still have no door lock function from the key in the door slot,......but door locks work fine from the key remote. Star end of the door handle cross shaft is fine,....and the white nylon cross in the door/lock/actuator assembly looks ok.