Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Renting a trailer tomorrow & dont see a connector for trailer lights on my D2

Old 08-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help! Renting a trailer tomorrow & dont see a connector for trailer lights on my D2

I may be renting a trailer tomorrow to pick up an old Triumph. I recently noticed that I don't have a connection point for trailer lights. Seems odd since I have a trailer hitch. Wondering If I can buy a generic electrical harness with the proper vehicle side connector for the trailer harness to plug into,...and if so,.......would it plug in to my truck, or will I have to strip wires and solder it in??

Old 08-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Under your passenger side tail light is the plug for the trailer lights. If you remove the tail light and look down in the cavity, you will see the plug. You need to search how to hook up, because the wiring is different here in the states, than in UK. There is a company that makes an adapter that plugs in, but costs over 100.00. The plug is gray and has a cover over it, You need a converter to wire in.

Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

You can buy a universal set and then strip and crimp it in. That's what I did and wired it to the tail lights for simplicity sake. I think there is a way to crimp it into the factory harness, but I did this back when I didn't know what I was doing and just haven't changed it. Now that you mention it, I think I'll hook mine up to a trailer and make sure those wires aren't getting hot. No issues so far, so it's probably fine that way, but I know you can do it with a universal set. I originally used a 4 way, but just yesterday I got one of those 4 way to 7 way adapters and wired up a brake controller too. Pretty simple as long as you follow the directions.

And for anyone wondering, here is the best place I've found to mount your brake controller. Of course, I don't have the coin trays installed, so if you do then you'll either have to remove them or find somewhere else.

Name:  9pHrYSp.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  82.7 KB

Last edited by Alex_M; 08-05-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Behind your RR tail light is your trailer light harness connection point.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Behind your RR tail light is your trailer light harness connection point.
Would that be the upper taillight next to the rear door, or the one in the bumper. Thinking it must be the upper. Do I remove the taillight?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Winching

I just looked under the truck again,...and I do see a connector/plug hanging off the rear bumper taillight wiring harness on the driver/left side near the driver's/left side bumper taillight. could that be it?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Winching
Default Joemamma,....I see you are in Austin,....I am in cedar Park.

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
Under your passenger side tail light is the plug for the trailer lights. If you remove the tail light and look down in the cavity, you will see the plug. You need to search how to hook up, because the wiring is different here in the states, than in UK. There is a company that makes an adapter that plugs in, but costs over 100.00. The plug is gray and has a cover over it, You need a converter to wire in.
Joemamma, I'm in Cedar Park (North or Austin). Could you call me?? Brian 512-815-5771

Edit: You can disregard the request to call me. I got it done.

Last edited by bcolins; 08-05-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
I just looked under the truck again,...and I do see a connector/plug hanging off the rear bumper taillight wiring harness on the driver/left side near the driver's/left side bumper taillight. could that be it?
No. That's likely an unused rear fog guard light connector. As stated above, you need to to buy an after-market trailer connector with an "isolator" (i.e., it has an external power source which you can wire in) and splice and crimp. I went with a Curtis brand, which may well be identical to the $100 plus Land Rover part, and it has functioned perfectly for two years.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Remember that you have separate turn signals from your brake lights. European style. You have to convert from 5 wire to 4 wire to use a standard 4 plug connector. in the thread I linked below I give a link to a 5 to 4 converter for $14.49 at agrisupply. Cheapest I could find then. I had one nearby, walked in got off the shelf. It comes with scotchlocks. The link has info on wire colors, a video, connector diagram, and 7 pin connector with brake controller if you need that.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ght=agrisupply

Old 08-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Winching

GOT IT DONE! Thanks for the input guys. After talking with a friend and then going to U-Haul, and then stopping in at Tractor Supply, I ended up Googling it.

I found my answer here.,.... http://www.discoweb.org/trailerwire/index.htm

but Walmart did not have it,....so back home again,....googling it again and determined that the referenced Walmart kit # 46155 was actually a HOPKINS #46155. I Googled that, and saw that O Reilly's Auto parts carried it.

Swung over to O'Reilly's and they had one,...but at $26.99. I told him I had seen it at $19.99 at Amazon and elsewhere, and he matched it. Took about 20 minutes for the complete install behind the right taillight.

Thanks all for your input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Renting a trailer tomorrow & dont see a connector for trailer lights on my D2