Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! would 0420 be the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Help! would 0420 be the culprit?

Hi guys! ...still having some issues with these codes 1590 & 0420, but I'm pretty more concern for the latter.

About a month ago I started to smell a strong burning odor, it was kinda acidic, this event started one night driving back home from work but thought it was something outside my Disco; next day driving back to work smelled it again plus felt a loss of power. I was able to arrive at work and let it rest. At the end of the day when driving back home it was gone, the burning odor and the loss of power. Days went by with no prob so forgot about the issue.

Some days later I found a leak on the Thermostat so parked the Disco until I could replace it, which I finally did a week later. Test it, no leak, no temp issues, so decided to go for a drive on a sunday, but as soon as I got on the highway immediately felt the loss of power, tried putting it in 3 gear but it felt like it didn't kick in, and that dreaded burning odor came back.

I was able to drive at low speed back to my house and parked it again safely, but can't figure out where the odor comes from or why the sudden loss of power.

A week or two have passed that I hadn't moved my Disco, mainly cuz we have another car and just don't want to risk getting stranded or burnt out of my Disco.

Any ideas from the facts I have told you? Might it be the result of the Cat going kaput? I say this cuz exactly a year ago Jared9220 recommended that I should be considering replacing the CAT since that was whta 0420 was telling me? could this be causing the acidic burning odor and the loss of power?

Will await your feedback, Thanks! ;-}#

Old 03-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

speaking of acidic burning odors have you checked the condition of your battery lately?
is it over charging?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
speaking of acidic burning odors have you checked the condition of your battery lately?
is it over charging?
Truth be told, I had it checked back in Jan and resulted in being in good condition... then again, the date was Jan 10th... ;-}#

Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Winching

An update to this issue.

The culprit of the odor and the loss of power was the front right caliper/brake, it stuck and produced the acidic smell of burning brake pads, and of course the loss of power was the car braking!

My mechanic used a re-manufactured caliper, just changed that and the hose, but a couple of days later it stuck again... he then changed the rotor and the pads, meanwhile, rear left brakes started to get stuck, it started damaging the rotor... but a day ago the front right stuck again, yup, after changing the caliper, the rotor and the brake pads! ... any hints what to look for?