Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodave
I recall one of the Landrover mags had a article where ashcroft put a ZF behind the puma Diesel in a defender. I recall they used the stronger ZF24 internals, but the older valve body and compushift. I'll see if I can dig it out and scan it for you if you want.
http://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/...d&productId=75

Old 11-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

How about that? Maybe they will sell you one of the 6 speeds that they take out when the install the auto.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update

I am excited about all the interest/discussion stirred up by my project. Keep it coming. I hope I can count on the lifetime Rover techs on here to help me when I need to make all these different brand computers play nice together.
I am not optimistic I can make the GMC electronic transfer case work at all. I am leaning toward removing the Rover transmission and transfer case and see if I can source the correct adapter to mount the Rover transfer case to the 4x4 GM 4L60E transmission.
New Muscle car oil pan installed, I had to drill a hole in the block for the dip stick... picture below. I will do another test fit to see how much clearance has been gained by the oil pan swap, and hopefully I can get some measurements for a first draft on building the motor mounts.

Attached Thumbnails Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread-img_20131122_154254.jpg   Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread-img_20131122_172724.jpg   Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread-img_20131122_172703.jpg   Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread-img_20131122_172733.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm watching this one. I'd like to do a LSX swap into a RRC one day.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by swank1975
I'm watching this one. I'd like to do a LSX swap into a RRC one day.
Thanks for the interest, if you have some specific questions as we get further into this, please ask. I will probably skip some of the details since
LS(X) swaps have been going on for years (since 1997), and a lot of the info is readily available on the "Engine Swap" forums.

I do intend to see this project to some end; as a completed running vehicle or as an epic fail in which the machines (i.e computers) rise up and defeat the human parasites.
I have probably already gone past the point of no return in which a LR engine will never be able to be installed in this chassis.
That being said, here's the latest update:

The LR drivetrain is offset 3 inches to the Driver side (left on a NAS).
It is 25" between the frame rails. Center of transmission to inside frame on left side is 11". Center of transmission to inside frame on right side is 14". I have modified some GM F-Body LS1 motor mounts to bolt inside the frame rails by removing the LR motor mount brackets that were welded to each side.

It appears that no matter which LS family engine you choose for your swap, the accessory mounted low on the driver side (left) will interfere with the Discovery II power steering gear. Holley makes various aftermarket brackets (as do others CBR, Dingo etc) to move the accessories around, but I decided to try to save $200 and make my own Power steering pump relocation bracket. I am planning to reuse the LR power steering reservoir and lines with almost no modification. I do have some concern about the LS pump pressure and flow values working with the LR steering gear and cooler.

Pictures to follow.

The following users liked this post:
Techno (03-05-2020)
Old 12-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Brief update: It appears that the LT230 LR Transfer case will not mate up to the 4L60E transmission even with an adapter. It looks to me like the transmission oil pan and the transmission body on the right side will interfere with the LT230 transfer case body. I know there is an adapter out there for the 4L80E, I never thought there would be that much difference between the two GM versions. Maybe I am completely wrong on this.

Back to the 4L60E and NP2 transfer case; this pair is about 13" longer than the Land Rover setup. I had to remove the entire exhaust system, probably none of it will work with the LS swap. The rear driveshaft is going to be extremely short and the tail housing on the transfer case may interfere with the rear passenger floor.

Also looks like the radiator will have to be moved forward to allow the use of a mechanical fan, which will mean the transmission cooler will have to be relocated. (Probably will not use the engine oil cooler)

I don't really have any good news to report other than:

"WAR DAMN EAGLE"

Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I believe the adapters clock the transmission to clear the pan.

I know that's how the factory RRC setup that had the TF727 transmission worked. There was an adapter to the block and another adapter to the LT230, and the transmission was clocked to clear the pan and also I believe they had to use a solid bar front driveshaft instead of a hollow tube. Here is where Ian Ashcroft talks about the setup: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-...350-rrc-2.html

Not 100% about the marks adapters though.

Last edited by jafir; 12-02-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling

I think you're on to something. The clocking makes sense, although that may make the TC hit the floor pan? The Rover transmission and the 4L60E are almost exactly the same length, but the adapter would certainly add a couple inches to the overall length. I will give it some more thought, thanks for the support... this is turning out to be a bear of a project! I hope my money lasts as long as my determination.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an idea you probly won't like - have you considered swapping a GM 3800 (L36) instead of a LSX?

The 3800 was also based on the Buick 215, but is a much more modern design with lots of performance parts available. The trans bolt pattern is different from the Rover, but I bet it'd be much easier to adapt than a LSX. I'm sure you can get all the used parts you need for almost nothing since they are so common, and since it's a much smaller engine than a LSX, it'll simplify everything. Also, I bet you could fit the factory supercharger from the L67 if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 12-06-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been keeping up with this thread, but didn't realize you were so close to me. Also...WAR EAGLE! Looking forward to the game on saturday.

Quick Reply: Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread