Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
Shade Tree, Great Thread. Wondering how much simpler this would be for those of us who are thinking a 2 wheel drive daily driver would work just fine.

My 2003 Disco needs an engine rebuild at nearly 200K, and I don't plan on doing any four wheeling. Thinking it would be fun to have a hot rod 2WD Disco.

Brian in Austin
Go for it! Two wheel drive, 4L60E or 4L80E with matching LSX engine would be an easy swap. Keep the cats and you can pass inspection no problem.

You will have a non standard driveshaft angle at the rear. This will require probably two double cardon joints and a SYE. Consult Tom Woods and go with what they recommend. No parking brake will be an issue for some inspections, maybe you can find an aftermarket solution.

The following users liked this post:
Joe! (12-06-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Shadetree I've watched your thread for awhile and admire your jump into it attitude. It sounds like you've had great success.

I've watched a YouTube video by a guy who put an LT1 in a Disco II and apparently used the ZF transmission. He also used all of the rover electronics. What really caught my attention was that he put a crank sensor over a wheel attached to the crank pulley rather that at the back of the engine and a throttle position sensor on the throttle. They were land rover parts but he made some little brackets to hold them.

I'm sure I can make or buy an adapter for a chevy to ZF and a fab shop near me could make the motor mounts and extra brackets. Id have to figure out the flywheel and flexplate. A pilot bearing is no big deal.

Your thread and the video I watched (Google 4.3 chevy disco) caused me to think that with any self regulated engine (like old diesel or distributor controlled engibe) with a crank sensor and throttle sensor, I should be able to use my ZF transmission, have rpms, etc. on the dash, without using any other engine bay sensors. I would just have to figure out shutoff. It should run and shift, anyway, though the SES light would have a fit. But I wouldn't care because the output from the Bosch system could go jump in a feep, cold, lake for all I care, with a self regulated engine. The transmission needs rpms , throttle position, transmission oil pressure and temp, and speed.

Can I get your thoughts on this? I have another thread about sensors needed to make an engine start with a rover ecu and the transmission shift but I haven't received a specific response. Not many people have done what you've done (or if they have, they are secretive bastards).
My thoughts are to swap the engine and trans. as a unit. I think making a Bosch controlled transmission talk to a Dephi computer may be asking for extra problems and unnecessary work. I'm sure it can be done but at what cost.
Also, speed signal (I think 4k) is same from SLABS and GM speed sender. No adjustment necessary. Same goes for tach. signal, runs Land Rover Gauges just fine.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Swap Update

Truck is still working great! Original plastic LR radiator split open. Not sure if it died from being overworked (5.3 Liter motor) or just old age. I replaced it with an all aluminum LSX swap radiator with dual electric fans from Entropy.
I have added skid plates under the front and rear, diff. guards front and rear, removed all sway bars and installed an Ashcroft Tru-Track auto locker in rear.
Still looking for a decent off-road driver (I fall short way too often).
Next mods will probably be some sort of locker in the front and some wheel spacers to give a wider track.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I love the idea of a swap. To be honest I'm more interested in a more stout engine than a hp increase. I get tired of constantly worrying about Temps. Plus the damn HG jobs that are a part of the maintenance log it seems like. It's like a big looming doom. I'd love to have a 4.3 iron block/aluminum head Vortec V6. Stout. Reliable. Decent power.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How did this turn out? UPDATE??

Shade tree, without having to read through the entire thread,.......were you able to complete your build? If so, how did it turn out. Im thinking that early on you suggested that you might put together a tutorial on this. Did that happen?

Old 09-30-2016, 09:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

He did complete it and this thread pretty much has all the info you need.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:34 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Alex_M
He did complete it and this thread pretty much has all the info you need.
Hey Alex, Yeah, I remember reading quite a bit of this in the past,.....but never got to the point where it was running and driving,....and thinking that there were a number of things he tried, that did not work out,.....so was just inquiring about the final outcome and whether he ever got the tutorial together I think he mentioned at some point.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Default 5.3 Liter Chev. in a DII

I would say 90% of everything you need to know for the engine, transmission and Transfer case is contained in the thread. Make sure you read thoroughly, some ideas did not work or were changed as the build progressed. Everyone is going to take different paths in their build so no two would ever be the same exactly. My goal here on this site was to prove it could be done economically and by the average "shade tree" mechanic at home. As with every LSX build I have done, the only thing I farmed out was tire mounting/balance and driveshaft building. ALL other construction was done by me in my home shop.

I have taken the truck out for at least a dozen rides including one three day camping trip. The only breakdown that cut a ride short was the self destruction of the stock plastic radiator (which was probably original..16 years old). I still managed to limp home from the woods, 1 hour trip on pavement.

Side note... The reason that the truck has only been out few times is the drivers fault not the truck. I have been battling cancer since February and have been unable to ride. I have beat it I think, but still taking some chemo. I hope to be well enough to ride by December or January.

Right now I am working on the AC system and I also feel the need for a front locker. I have a rear auto locker (and Locking TC) but I still get denied on some slippery hills. I hope a front automatic locker will get me over the top.

If you are planning or doing this swap, feel free to ask questions, I am a better mechanic than I am a teacher, so be patient.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Winching

Thanks for responding Shade Tree. Sorry to hear about the health issues and wish you the best with that. Sounds like you have rounded the curve.

I'm curious how the truck compared to when it had the original Rover V8 in terms of driveeability. Did it feel like a well sorted car/truck?,....the reason I ask is that I had a Jaguar sedan years ago with a Chevy 350 and also a Mazda RX7 convertible with a Corvette LT1 and 700R4. They both were great driving cars that felt "Right",....although I wished the RX7 had been a manual transmission. Beyond driveability,......how did the truck perform,....and how did the transmission and drive line feel after the conversion??

Thanks for answering those questions,.....I'll go read your complete thread.

Brian in Austin

Old 10-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Rock Crawling

On pavement manners are similar or slightly better. I had a drivetrain vibration at 80 mph before the swap and after the swap it is still there but not quite as bad. I bought a trailer to haul the truck back and forth from the woods. Only used it twice, but it really gives a lot of peace of mind when wheeling an hour or more from home. It also eliminates the need to air up and down and hook up the front sway bar.

Sounds like you have plenty of experience with chevy swaps, you should have no problem with a DII swap.

Quick Reply: Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread