Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High beam blue light won't shut off - headlights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:02 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beam blue light won't shut off - headlights don't work

Hi -

I have a 2000 DISCO II. The headlights won't work at all.

I turn the light switch on and the parking lights come on and the high beam blue signal illuminates on the dash. However the low beams nor the high beams turn on.

If I toggle the high beam switch the blue indicator does not turn off and the headlights remain in the same non working state.

The car is presently in Roatan Honduras. No way humanly possible to bring to a dealership...

I have checked all fuses and they look ok.

Also I tried holding down the lock button on the remote as this usually turns the headlights on for a bit and this no longer works.

As a side note one of my fog lights did break off recently - so not sure if the lack of connection has anything to do with the issue...

PLEASE HELP! Can't go anywhere at night unless I drive around in reverse and use the back up lights (ok kidding folks... I only did that once!)

Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would remove the clamshell and check the connector at the light switch first, then I would get a meter and test the wires coming from the switch, this will at least tell you if the problem is in the switch or not. You will probably need the rave manual for the wiring information, or maybe someone on here familiar with the D2 headlight switch wiring can help you out, if not maybe I can find some info on it for you.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:10 PM
4th Gear

I'll try to find the "clamshell" - I assume you mean the plastic piece that goes around the steering column? Sorry... techie here - but not car techie!

Also - I shoudl mention when I toggle the high beam switch the blue light does turn off while the toggle is fully depressed, but then turns right back on when you let go...

ALSO - this happend 2 days ago for the first time. And at that time. it wasn't too dark so I said the hell with it I"ll just get home quick... I shifted the car into drive and the wheels might have made 1 revolution and the lights suddenly came on... Not sure if that sheds any light...

ALSO I noticed that where my driver's side fog light broke off that the electrical wires were touching... could I have shorted something ? I have since electrical taped those exposed wires.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you may have shorted something.
You know for a fact that your bulbs are good?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 PM
7th Gear

I'm having the exact same issue. No head lights, no front corner light, blue high beam light on gauge cluster. Even more odd, the front corner lights are still working as turn signals.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
7th Gear

The combination switch for the exterior lights is $186 here:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...on_switch.html

I'd rather not buy this if this isn't the problem

Old 02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
6th Gear

Did you end up getting your light problem fixed? I have some insight into the light switches (I assume that they didn't change much from DI to DII). It sounds like to me that you have a connection issue inside of your switch. You could probably buy a new one on e-bay for cheaper or tear it apart and see if you can figure out the problem inside of the switch.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mountainmanwv
Did you end up getting your light problem fixed? I have some insight into the light switches (I assume that they didn't change much from DI to DII). It sounds like to me that you have a connection issue inside of your switch. You could probably buy a new one on e-bay for cheaper or tear it apart and see if you can figure out the problem inside of the switch.

I can't speak for the original poster, but mine is a disco 1. I found the "problem" on mine. The connector behind the driver's side headlamp burned/melted. Of course, that doesn't tell me what the real problem was/is... moisture in the connector, a transient short in the switch, a short in the wiring between the two, the lamp simply failing in such a way as to draw enough power to heat the plastic and char the metal connectors inside... who knows. It's a british vehicle with a mysterious electrical issue, imagine that

Anyway, I've replaced the lamps, which has helped, but now I need to source a replacement connector, looked on parts geek and atlantic british and couldn't find it

Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by WAARHEID
I can't speak for the original poster, but mine is a disco 1. I found the "problem" on mine. The connector behind the driver's side headlamp burned/melted. Of course, that doesn't tell me what the real problem was/is... moisture in the connector, a transient short in the switch, a short in the wiring between the two, the lamp simply failing in such a way as to draw enough power to heat the plastic and char the metal connectors inside... who knows. It's a british vehicle with a mysterious electrical issue, imagine that

Anyway, I've replaced the lamps, which has helped, but now I need to source a replacement connector, looked on parts geek and atlantic british and couldn't find it
REPLACEMENT HEADLAMP SOCKET CALTERM #08521 MAY CROSS OVER TO A NAPA OR OTHER.
if you can't find one locally , pm me and I can send one to you

Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 AM
4th Gear

So bizzare!!! I had the exact same thing happen on mine!!! No idea how it melted!??! I managed to fix the driver's side and decided to inspect the passenger side and found that one had melted as well!!!

The only thing I can think of and question you as well - I replaced the light bulbs about a year ago with higher lumen bulbs from an auto parts store... think that could have done something??

Anyways I'm back in biz'

Thanks!

Originally Posted by WAARHEID

Quick Reply: High beam blue light won't shut off - headlights don't work