Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High too Low gear will not engage????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High too Low gear will not engage????

I'm curious too why the low gear will not engage on a '99 disco 2. I read the manual did everything it said and i cant get it too budge!! I have had other 4x4 but i really dont know to much about land rovers. This is my first land rover and any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: High too Low gear will not engage????

Are you in neutral? Are you moving under 5mph? Will the lever move at all?
Try this.
http://home.twcny.rr.com/eeibooks/ro...codifflock.htm
The transfer case is a use it or lose it type of thing, shift it once a month to keep everything working as it should.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
4wd Low

Most deffinately in neutral,and under 5mph. I dont know if or when the lever was last moved. The guy i bought it from had it drove it regulary till it overheated on him ( which i did duplicate) but thats another issue and another thread, so i dont know when it was used last but i'd be willing too bet it's been awhile. That link will help alot when i have the time too look at it again. I really like the car and want too fix it up so it's back too working order.Thanks for all the help

Old 06-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

I assume that you just bought the trk. You know that you MUST use premium gas, right?
The engine in a LR is all aluminum, so you NEVER want to overheat it, you will drop a cylinder liner and then you will need a new engine.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 PM
4wd Low

Premium isnt a problem!! I have been reading about overheating problems with these trks. It would be a really bad noise if it had dropped a liner i would assume?? The guy that had it said he took it too the dealer and they said there was air in the system so that took care of it and he continued too drive it for a month or so till it got warm on him again and then he said he was done with it. So i got it hoping too take care of this problem before it happens again. It takes 10 min of driving in 90+ degree weather with the a/c on too duplicate the problem. Auxiliary fan comes on w/o the a/c on and does come on with the a/c on and running. It wont overheat sitting still in my yard is the weird thing.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Team Owner

Your electric fans are not working properly. It wont overheat in your driveway because the engine is at low RPM and not working, if you were to rev it up to 2000 rpm it would overheat.
Is your clutch fan working?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 AM
4wd Low

Vehicle up too temp, foot on the brake, e-brake on , holding rpms at 1800-2000 for several minutes, and it still wouldnt over heat that way.I havent checked he fan clutch but i will try too tonight.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Back to your question, you can't shift into low because the shift solenoid on the t/case as most likely failed or is shorted out.
If it is not working, the tranny can't get a signal to the t/case/ saftey feature, so you can shift to low.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:08 PM
4wd Low

Thats not too difficult too change right?, Just remove the front drive shaft and follow the directions in the manual? I Have the rave cd also....

Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: GreenRover

Vehicle up too temp, foot on the brake, e-brake on , holding rpms at 1800-2000 for several minutes, and it still wouldnt over heat that way.I havent checked he fan clutch but i will try too tonight.
Just put it in neutral and set the parking brake. It will take more than just a few minutes.
But if it only happens when the A/C is on when you are driving it could be a bad thermostat, or a partialy clogged radiator. I assume that you checked the coolant level.

Quick Reply: High too Low gear will not engage????