Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Insulation Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
I thought that blanket was to keep paint from baking off from below. if it doesn't do that, I will trash mine too..
I did not loose any paint

Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroone
Didn't think of the noise aspect.
I did not notice any noise difference

Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

added to the rover do list.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cmon guys, do you think Rover or any other auto manufacturer would spend the money on such a thing if it didn't serve a purpose? The bean counters would have tossed that thing a long time ago.

Every modern vehicle has the insulation under the hood. It serves two important (debatable) purposes, each can decide just how important they are:

a) injector tick -- you'll notice this insulation started appearing as fuel injection became commonplace. Many injectors, especially high-impedance "saturated" type injectors make loud clicks that are quite audible, and in some cases sound like dry lifters. This is the most distracting noise that manufacturers try to hide-- other engine noise is quiet in comparison.

[i.e sound insulation]

b) heat insulation - Underhood temps are far higher in modern vehicles with smaller engine bays, higher coolant temps for emissions. Sure, the engine heat won't peel paint, I think that's pretty obvious. But go park your rover in the southern Arizona sunshine after the engine got good and hot, shut it off and let it have a nice long heat soak. You might not notice anything initially, but try that day in and day out, and let me know how your hood paint holds up. It's simply insurance against the worst.

The "fire blanket" idea has some merit, but it's not the primary reason they fit these. There's no automobile safety standard in effect that says you have to have this-- some materials used in automobile manufacture have to resist flame / temperatures, but that's about it.

Last edited by QuakerJ; 04-16-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:54 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Replaced the hood liner today. Used Bonded Logic Insulation and Aluminum Tape, Permatex Heavy Duty Adhesive.

I put it on, cut it out, and got the clips in before spraying. Worked well, but you really have to push it into place. Use books or something heavy to hold it there. Once the adhesive is on she is sticking in place. I will keep pressure on it over night and reinstall tomorrow.Put the aluminum tape around any insulation that was showing.

If there is a sound benefit from this I will know it. It is much thicker and substantial than the OEM material. Hopefully a little quieter, we will see. only negative I can think of is the ice may not melt off my hood in winter.

Attached Thumbnails Hood Insulation Experiences-hood-liner.jpg  

Last edited by CollieRover; 05-03-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell us how the noise is when you get her all finished. My brother has a 100' roll of dynamat sitting in the garage he'd let me use. I'd like to mask the sound of my engine knocks.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Come on dane... The knocks let you know it's running! :0

The following users liked this post:
GarySpringfield (04-14-2021)
Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 PM
TReK

My ADD got the best of me, and we have company staying the night so hood could not rest on the dining room table all night. Reinstalled, and took her for a drive.

Both my wife and I noticed how quiet it seemed. Sounded like a "luxury vehicle" she said. Imagine that. You can hear the music better and play it a little softer.

Did make a difference, ran the same engine temps as usual. So, in short, glad I did it, and every time I open my hood it will be nice and shiny.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Lets just hope the adhesive you used will hold up to the heat from the engine.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 AM
TReK

So far so good. The adhesive is high heat, and listed engine bay as an application so it better hold up!

Quick Reply: Hood Insulation Experiences