Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn dead - Steps to fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horn dead - Steps to fix

I bought my 2004 Disco SE two days ago. I'm making a list of things to work on. Two lists actually, one "minor things" like window motor and horn, and another list of things like new brake pads/rotors, replacing all fluids with new, etc.

Currently I'm working on the horn. It doesn't work. I push either button and there's nothing. No clicking, or any other indication that any connection is being made to anywhere else. (At least with the window I can hear the clicking when I hit the button.)

Last night I replaced the fuse that the RAVE manual says is for the horn. (Added bonus is that the "Service Engine Soon" light finally went off.)

So what is my next step to figuring out the horn? Should I check the connections on the steering wheel, or the horns themselves?

I have a wishlist of things at Atlantic British already so if I need horns I can get them, or if it's just buttons, even better.

Any help would be appreciated. I bought this car specifically because I want to learn to fix this stuff myself, and be able to teach my kids how to care for their car when they get one.

Thanks

Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

It wasn't until I installed air horns that I discovered that one of mine wasn't even working. Starting point should be to check if current is getting to the horns themselves, which you can do easily with a test light or meter. If you've got current up there then you know it's the horn itself. If you don't have current there, you need to start back-tracking to work out where the break is.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

On an 03-04 pop the grill off via 3 plastic phillip head retainers. Remove grill & check each horn and see if you get voltage when the horn buttons are pressed with a meter.

Lots of vehicles (Ford or Nissan for example) will have the same plug on the horns and you can pick them up cheap at a junk yard and be 100% PNP.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok, so a new wrinkle is this is that I decided to check all the fuses tonight. All the ones under the steering wheel are good. I checked the ones under the hood and a 10 amp and 40 amp were both blown.

I replaced both with some I had (does any Auto Zone fuse work? Or is there a quality difference?) and the Service Engine Soon light was off when I cranked the car back up.

I pushed the horn buttons a few times and turned off the car. Turned it on again and the Service Engine light was back on.

I checked the fuses and both had blown. I replaced and cranked the car back up. Tested the horn and the fuses blew again.

So at this point I know that the horn is blowing 10 amp fuse and think it's blowing the 40a fuse, but I have no clue what that means (yet).

I got a multimeter tonight (needed one for a while) so I will be checking the horns in a few days.

Any ideas why the fuses keep blowing out?

Last edited by Jsivey; 02-16-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Which fuses, specifically? They are numbered.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 PM
Three Wheeling

I know it's F16 (horn), and I'm 90% sure the other is F5 (ALL - Cooling Fan Relay). I can check in the morning, but I'm 100% on F16 because that is the top fuse and it's a 10a.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 AM
TReK

Unplug the horns at their connectors. Replace 10A fuse. Press the horn button. Check for blown fuse. If it's not blown then one (or both) of the horns is shorting and should be replaced.
For the other one it sounds like your fan motor is seized or burned out.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mollusc
Unplug the horns at their connectors. Replace 10A fuse. Press the horn button. Check for blown fuse. If it's not blown then one (or both) of the horns is shorting and should be replaced.
For the other one it sounds like your fan motor is seized or burned out.
Would the air conditioner work if the fan motor was seized? What should I be looking for if the fan motor is going out/dead?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:22 AM
TReK

That's a different fan. There are electric fans behind the radiator that come on to cool the engine as needed. Perhaps try unplugging those and seeing if the fuse still blows.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Is there a link to the under hood fuse box that shows which fuses go to what? or is there a page in the RAVE? I've looked and can't seem to find one.

Quick Reply: Horn dead - Steps to fix