Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change the trans fluid on a DII

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoveryHouston
rj95lss if you go to ebay and type in item number: 360189803567 you'll see the kit. They have 9 left as of right now. They are located just up the road from and have extremely fast shipping. And plus its a factory part for half the price.
I called and talked with them and did order one shipping was $16 for me, its the same one that AB sells for $49 + $11 shipping.

FYI - Its not a factory part though and is made aftermarket.

Thanks for the heads up on a good deal.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oysterhead, once you pull the drain plug and let it drain for 5 minutes or so you good to pull the pan.
Thanks.

Just so I'm clear, if I pull the pan, do I have to put in ~5 quarts of ATF when I'm finished? If not, how do I keep from losing all the new ATF I just put in?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
Thanks.

Just so I'm clear, if I pull the pan, do I have to put in ~5 quarts of ATF when I'm finished? If not, how do I keep from losing all the new ATF I just put in?
Once you remove the pan there is no way to keep the fluid in the trans.
You will need to add NEW fluid to the transmission, have 8 qts on hand and return what you dont use.
You dont want to be bumming a ride to get more tranny fluid half way through the job.

The following users liked this post:
Dinoco (01-30-2015)
Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spike555 you said 8 qrts of ATF. I put 6 qrts in mine and it could'nt hold no more. And that was after I added 4 qrts drove it around the block came back and pumped in 2 more qrts. I guess my question is did I put enough in or do I need to squeeze an additional 2 more for a total of 8 qrts. Its shifting fine and this filter & fluid service stopped the M & S lights from coming on and also from going into the limp mode. Evidentally this was the original filter and fluid. Thanks for the good write up, it was an easy fix.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Three Wheeling

rj95lss, no problem. Since I'm a newbie to this whole Land Rover ownership, I will sit at work for hours reading these forums and then sourcing out the parts. Its a good deal to find these parts and pass them on. I have read a ton of spike555 post on maintenance, the guy knows his sh*t.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

spike555 you said 8 qrts of ATF. I put 6 qrts in mine and it could'nt hold no more. And that was after I added 4 qrts drove it around the block came back and pumped in 2 more qrts. I guess my question is did I put enough in or do I need to squeeze an additional 2 more for a total of 8 qrts. Its shifting fine and this filter & fluid service stopped the M & S lights from coming on and also from going into the limp mode. Evidentally this was the original filter and fluid. Thanks for the good write up, it was an easy fix.
I say have 8 qts on hand, you wont need all 8.
Better to have more on hand than needed then to be half way through a job and you cant finish and you need to call a taxi to take you to the store to get more supplies.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Since the transmission filter & fluid change, she hasn't missed a beat. Guess I need to go knock on wood pretty quickly now.......lol.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Mudding

"Remove the fill/check plug and make sure that the transmission is full, fluid should come out at a nice steady rate, if so you are full"

Can I just use the ATF dipstick to check if the transmission is full?

Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Team Owner

Yes on a DI use the tranny dipstick, DII's do NOT have a dipstick for the tranny.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling

So here's the thing...

My drain plug appears to have the head (and hex socket) ground down flat on it, somehow. Is this the plug that everyond kvetches about it being plastic, and AB sells a brass replacement? If so, what's the recommended way to get it out, since I can't wrench it.

I assume I don't want to drill it out; metal filings in your AT aren't really recommended...

Quick Reply: How to change the trans fluid on a DII