Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To: Differential Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you for the thorough write up. That looks like a huge pain, hope I never have to do it aha.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The axle retaining nut doesn't need to be removed to pull the rear diff. It just secures the axle to the hub. They will slide out as one unit, enabling you to remove the diff. That axle nut is a pain in the ***.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by souljad9
The axle retaining nut doesn't need to be removed to pull the rear diff. It just secures the axle to the hub. They will slide out as one unit, enabling you to remove the diff. That axle nut is a pain in the ***.
True story, updated steps to reflect this.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

just finished using your guide to replace my diff after the bearing on the driver side came off and rattled around until it ground down all the gears. runs like a champ now.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

What are signs of bad differential? I get a "loosness" mostly when cold... I dont throw any codes, it doesnt feel like a hesitation and disco seems to ever so lightly drift and I feel a loosness in steering... Maybe that loosness in steering is normal? I just dont know much about this area and may even need some assistance.... Id like to put a lift and new springs and shocks but before any of that I need address this... Heck could it be transfer case motor mount or tranny ready for new filter? I just dont know! Lol ( it was like this but got much better once changing o2 sensors but didnt go away... It feels rumbly and loose during first 20 mins ride... If i drive lets say 5 minutes or so then turn it off as like going to store then come back out and drive, i dont feel this usually... Also could it have to do with abs system? Any suggestions would be grewtly appriciated! Lol

Last edited by dparham; 03-25-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Drifting

What size are the 12 point bolts? Special socket?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Overlanding

Hi Brandon: I am going to replace the brakes, rotors and, most importantly, a leaking driver's side rear wheel hub tomorrow on my 2004 Discovery. In picture 5 you show the rotor before removal. On my Discovery there is a gold retaining nut that I assume must come off before the hub can be pulled (along with all the other assorted bolts, sensors, etc.). What size is that?
Also, should the differential be completely drained or just partially? Thanks for your asssistance.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lmalbright
Hi Brandon: I am going to replace the brakes, rotors and, most importantly, a leaking driver's side rear wheel hub tomorrow on my 2004 Discovery. In picture 5 you show the rotor before removal. On my Discovery there is a gold retaining nut that I assume must come off before the hub can be pulled (along with all the other assorted bolts, sensors, etc.). What size is that?
Also, should the differential be completely drained or just partially? Thanks for your asssistance.
I can't remember what size the bolt was; if you are replacing your hubs you will want to remove this. That nut is what keeps your axle attached to the hub and I assure you it will be a lot easier to remove on the vehicle than off. I'd check for you, but I got rid of my Disco for an FJ back in February.

As far as draining it, pull the draing plug out of the diff and let it drain. It will drain low enough so that it doesn't pour out when you remove the carrier assembly. If you want to get ****, and it's what I did, once you remove the carrier assembly you can wipe the remaing 1/4-1/2" of fluid out of the housing. It's probably not a bad idea because any metal shavings that didn't get attached to your magnetic drain plug and gunk is going to accumulate here.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

One addendum:

For step #7 of Front Diff removal, pull the ABS sensor to the side so you don't pinch the wire, insert pry bar thru the hole where the sensor wire runs, and pry out the hub. Mine were damn near rusted into place so I also coated them with penetrating oil to aid in removal.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:09 PM
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Newbie here, long time lurker... Step 9 for rear differential: I can see the milky oil coming out of it. Does the axle need servicing? oil?

Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: How-To: Differential Removal