Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Get the Rave on Your iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to Get the Rave on Your iPhone

So I thought it would be handy to have the Rave on my iPhone and while it's not a super complicated procedure, I figured I'd share anyway. If this has been posted before I apologize. A variation of this procedure will also work on Andriod phones, though I don't have one to test it.

Note: you'll want to do all of the following while connected to wifi or it will take forever.

UDPATE NOTE: the app downloads the actual pdf file to your iPhone, so it's reading it natively. That means you can access the Rave in Airplane mode (I checked) or while stranded in a tropical forest with an overheated Rover like the guys in Top Gear. FTW!

1. Download the Rave manual to your computer. There are multiple sources, but I love Josh's site so go there: RAVE Manual - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

2. Open the Rave folder that you downloaded earlier. You really shouldn't need to put the whole thing on your iPhone (its slow and doesn't handle the PDF folder references right), so I found it best to find just the D2 manual pdf file, which you can find here (starting with your the rave folder on your computer):

\rave\pdf\lt\wmlt016n.pdf.

You might want to pull it out on your desktop or something to make it easier to get to later.

3. Ok, now go to the App Store on our iPhone and download PerfectReader Mini. It's free and awesome. You'll see. If you want to download it via iTunes here's the link: PerfectReader Mini (PDF Reader for everyone) for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

4. Once downloaded, open PerfectReader on your phone, and click the little wifi symbol on top. It'll show you this window:

Go to the address it shows on your computer, and browse/upload the wmlt016n.pdf file. NOTE: do not close your app window while uploading. You'll see the app window text indicate the upload progress of the file, and it'll also show you when it's done. Here's what the site looks like:

5. When it's done, tap back on your phone and you should see the thumbnail of the pdf sitting on your "bookshelf". Open it and let the awesomeness begin...

- K, right off the bat realize that this doesn't scroll like a pdf usually does, you have to flip the pages back and forth. It takes a second to get used to (I still found myself wanting to scroll), but it's not bad when you get used to it. Single tapping on the left and right to flip pages is easiest.

- Search function is really nice on this app. It brings up a list of results with each corresponding page and when you click over to it, it highlights the search term. Nice.

-Oh btw. All the links from the menus in the pdf work perfectly.

- You can bookmark the pages you need to go back to, just tap the little ribbon at the bottom right on any page you want to bookmark. Then tap the bottom left box icon (which brings up the table of contents) and slide to the right to access all your bookmarks.

- You can also have pages read to you in a funky computer voice, which is mostly useless but cool nonetheless. Just hit the top "T" icon on any page, and after the page loads hit the bubble on the bottom to start playing.

Anyway, this post got a little more out of hand than I intended...basically you have a way to access your rave manual on the go now. Hope that's useful.

Last edited by ShortTom; 07-22-2011 at 11:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ShortTom:
acg (02-23-2019), mr4x4 (03-25-2015)
Old 07-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Does this program take over all PDF functions on the iPhone? I had a free ebook reader that would let you save PDF files, but it integrated into the web browser, with no way to overide and use the built in.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
Does this program take over all PDF functions on the iPhone? I had a free ebook reader that would let you save PDF files, but it integrated into the web browser, with no way to overide and use the built in.
No. You actually have to download each and every pdf to your phone to read it with this reader.

To your point, if you hosted the PDF somewhere you could read it online with your default PDF reader on your phone. The only thing is I think the default one is pretty basic right?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Yes, but basic is good sometimes. Downfall is no offline access. I'll have to try this one. I like apps that don't take over.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Mudding

Basic is good, but no in-doc search is a killer for a 1500+ page pdf.

But I hear ya on apps that don't take over...stay out of my face and we'll get along fine.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

great stuff Tom.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice. thank you.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for posting this. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
8th Gear

I put this on my phone today. Works great as a backup copy to have with you for an emergency. It will also be nice to use in the garage.

Thanks again for taking the time to do such detailed instructions. I'm not sure how it got from my computer to the phone but it's there.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should work on any smart phone that can read pdfs.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (02-23-2019)

Quick Reply: How to Get the Rave on Your iPhone