Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long to swap out a power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long to swap out a power steering pump?

I need to replace the power steering pump on our 2000 disco2.
How long of a job is this...? I have a tight schedule for time and need to manage my week accordingly.
Is their a ton of stuff in the road that needs to come out before I can gain access to the PS pump?
Also... is this a 1 banana job?
Thanks everyone...
Tom

Old 05-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling

I've just looked that one up in the RAVE myself, fj, as mine blew a seal last night (just fix the car, buddy, and leave my private life outta this!)

It looks like a 1 or maybe 1.3 banana job: pull the intake hose, pull the serp, remove the pulley, unbolt the AC compressor and swing aside, then unbolt the PS pump from the bracket and the bracket from the engine, remove hoses, and replace pump.

Reassembly is the reverse. (:-)

You do have to bleed the steering circuit afterwards, which is almost certainly a 2 person job, and I'm not clear where that bleeder valve's actually *at*...

Old 05-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's on top of the power steering box, and you can bleed it yourself without ever touching that if you have time.

Fill the reservoir, start the truck and turn to full lock and hold it for a second or so in each direction. Shut the truck down and have a beer. Come back, top off the reservoir and do it again. Wait until there are no more bubbles in the reservoir and do it again. You are probably done now, but repeat if you can still hear pump whine.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by DarylJ
It's on top of the power steering box, and you can bleed it yourself without ever touching that if you have time.

Fill the reservoir, start the truck and turn to full lock and hold it for a second or so in each direction. Shut the truck down and have a beer. Come back, top off the reservoir and do it again. Wait until there are no more bubbles in the reservoir and do it again. You are probably done now, but repeat if you can still hear pump whine.
x2, D is all over it. You can also jack the front end up so both wheels are barely touching (but touching) the ground if that helps.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Mudding

I have an 03 and I imagine that there are some differences, but some advice from what I think may be applicable to replacing the PS pump on your job.
1. It really helps to be able to remove fan, if you are pressed for time, obviously you would not want to wait to order the wrenches, but you may be able to rent them from Autozone.
2. Dont try to remove the bottom hose from under the truck, you can leave it attached and take it out with the pump, its on there tight , hard to take off and much easier to replace to take off and put on the new pump when its out.

I didnt have the wrench and did not have to deal with the PS box that is mentioned above, took me 2 hours, but I also wasn't timing myself.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Winching

Not too hard to take off with the fan on. There is a space in the fan blades you have to work in and angle the bracket up and off the one stud. Just take your time, it's really not that bad of a job.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baylink
...as mine blew a seal last night (just fix the car, buddy, and leave my private life outta this!)
LOL, at least the seal was happy...

Old 05-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by photocrimes
Not too hard to take off with the fan on. There is a space in the fan blades you have to work in and angle the bracket up and off the one stud. Just take your time, it's really not that bad of a job.
Is it in fact possible to get the Serp out of the way without pulling the fan then? Cause that's what's hung me up.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Mudding

Yes, just put a torque wrench 15mm? I believe on the pulley tensioner, pull up and slip the serp

Quick Reply: how long to swap out a power steering pump?