Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long to swap out a power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

When I replaced my power steering pump, I left the fan in place. I knew the aluminum housing wouldn't easily clear the like 5" stud in the engine with the fan in place, so I used two nuts tightened against each other on the stud to remove it from the engine. with that stud loose from the engine, the housing was easily maneuvered around the fan.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBenjamin
Yes, just put a torque wrench 15mm? I believe on the pulley tensioner, pull up and slip the serp
Excellent. I wasn't sure it had enough slip to clear both pulleys and the idler on the driver side of the engine.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Mudding

Off. And photocrimes is right, it's fine with the fan still on, but I spent an extra 20 minutes on massaging the pump out and getting the bolts out due to the fan. I thought this was about speed?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling

It was about speed for the OP. My last wrenching was a water pump, which took 5.5 hours, because I didn't have the proper fan tool -- and on that one, you have no choice, obviously.

We ended up using (Mike or Spike's) "clamp the pipe wrench across the sheave, back into the block" trick, and even so, at least 2 hours of that 5.5 was just the fan work.

In 40 degree weather in January. (Yes, Florida does get that cold.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, my 1/2 breaker, with a 5" extension (the only 1/2" extension I have) is so long it bangs into the back of the radiator. My ratchet is enough slimmer to fit, front-to-back, but so short that I can't get enough leverage on it to loosen the belt far enough to slip it one-handed.

And either wrench bangs into the fan if I don't use the extender.

I need a 4" extender, which I have in 3/8", but not in 1/2". And of course, not enough size changers. And no leverage pipe. And no spare car.

Working on your vehicle, just like working on your computer, is 897 times easier when you have two than when you have only one.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Winching

Wow, I used a regular box end hand wrench to loosen up the pulley with one hand and slipped the belt off with the other.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

What I use to loosen my tensioner is a 15mm combination wrench, box end on the pulley, and a 14mm combination wrench, box end over the open end of the 15mm for leverage. You just have to be careful the two wrenches don't slip on one another as the result is skinned knuckles.

This is just a picture I found on the net to illustrate the dual wrenches for leverage:

Old 05-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling

I see your point. Lemme give that a try. I just couldn't get enough shift on mine and still be able to manouevre the belt behind the fan on the other side; I am sort've a wimp, though. :-)

Yup. Tnx. Time to get greasy again.

And of course, the throttle cable bracket blocks the back right AC compressor bolt. Definitely marking this up to a 2.5 banana job...

Jeezus... those three face bolts on the bracket are in tight. Hope someone didn't forget the anti-sieze. Oh, well; Blaster and dinnertime. ... Nope. Can't get them loose at all without a breaker bar or a leverage pipe, neither of which I have handy. <sigh>

Last edited by Baylink; 05-29-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baylink
I didn't have the proper fan tool
Auto zone loans the Ford fan wrench set for free. I believe it is the 5.5mm one that works. used it many times. Taking the fan off is not as bad as everone makes it sound.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marshman442
Auto zone loans the Ford fan wrench set for free. I believe it is the 5.5mm one that works. used it many times. Taking the fan off is not as bad as everone makes it sound.
Hey Marshman...you give me hope that my '01 will reach 200K+ as well...thanks for sharing the "auto zone" fan wrench info...

Quick Reply: how long to swap out a power steering pump?