Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long to swap out a power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marshman442
Auto zone loans the Ford fan wrench set for free. I believe it is the 5.5mm one that works. used it many times. Taking the fan off is not as bad as everone makes it sound.
It's 34 or 35mm, in fact; mine isn't marked, so I'd have to measure it, and I'm undressed for bed now.

But in fact the problem is *holding the fan pulley in place if you have the belt off (or it's broken)*.

There's a special wrench for that that goes over the bolt heads... and none of the borrow-tool sets (or even the ones you can buy--*my* Autozone's loaner kit didn't have the right wrench) have that; it's a dealer tool.

In practice, my problem turned out to be that I couldn't break the bracket bolts for love or money, so I ended up towing it to my mech.

He fixed it, and driving home it blew the lower radiator hose. And the next day after he fixed that, it blew the MAF intake preheat coolant hose.

<sigh>

Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Baylink
It's 34 or 35mm, in fact; mine isn't marked, so I'd have to measure it, and I'm undressed for bed now.

But in fact the problem is *holding the fan pulley in place if you have the belt off (or it's broken)*.

There's a special wrench for that that goes over the bolt heads...
It's 36. And he's telling you (quite correctly) that the Ford set the AutoZone loans out is the proper one for holding the fan pulley in place by the bolts.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And yet, amazingly, I wasted an hour and a half borrowing it and trying it, and -- mirabile visu! -- it didn't work.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Baylink
And yet, amazingly, I wasted an hour and a half borrowing it and trying it, and -- mirabile visu! -- it didn't work.
I guess you did it wrong.

Oh....lookey here. I still have the kit, since I haven't returned it. And a water pump.

72mm spanner. One bolt in a corner, the other one catching the side. Breaker bar on the spanner. Push down hard while using another 36mm wrench on the fan nut.