Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2

Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alternative solution

Wow, removing the headliner and painting seems like a big job. If the the area in question is not too big, I rather fix it on the spot. I got a syringe with a rather thick needle, fill it up with crazy glue and stuck a drop about every square inch. Looks like new. Well, the liner looks like new, the syringe is gone . You got to do it quickly or the stuff hardens on the syringe.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Foe
Drifting

Originally Posted by leadfoot
Wow, removing the headliner and painting seems like a big job. If the the area in question is not too big, I rather fix it on the spot. I got a syringe with a rather thick needle, fill it up with crazy glue and stuck a drop about every square inch. Looks like new. Well, the liner looks like new, the syringe is gone . You got to do it quickly or the stuff hardens on the syringe.
I tried the 3M Fabric Adhesive on mine. I employed a spray tube (like the one you get with WD-40) to deliver the glue through a small slit in the headliner. I cleaned out the spray tube with alcohol to ensure there was no residual oil in the tube. I then flattened the end of the tube to make a small flat spray pattern.

I had sagging in the recessed area where a sunroof goes (I don't have one). The adhesive directions recommended trying the material in a small inconspicuous area. Of course, I knew it would be fine and decided to do a 12" section.

The light tan headliner now looks like my friggin head exploded at some point....gonna have to strip out the liner and do the paint work LOL

Last edited by Foe; 01-25-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Foe
Drifting

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
i used rattle cans, regular rattle can gray primer, and then rattle can chalkboard paint, but you can use anything you want. i would suggest priming it before painting it as it is fiberglass and you want a nice finish. you can use roll on if you prefer but no need to get expensive.
Thanks for the input Hilltoppersx. Good to know it is fiberglass. I was thinking it was some sort of polystyrene foam.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the problem is the adhesive is within a 1/8" foam, the foam dries out and the fabric falls off the foam. there is no spray adhesive that will fix the foam from falling off. you need to remove the frabic and all the foam and then affix either new fabric or paint. i prefer paint as it wont ever sag again and its a heck of a lot easier.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the midst of completing mine as well - Of note, the plastic hinge on the sun visor securing clip that gives so many people so much difficulty can be removed easily and safely, thereby avoiding having to replace it.

Simply take a wire coat hanger ( even 14 or 16 guage wire should work ) and bend the end into a small J-shape. The J will reach around and release the plastic flap and expose the securing screw for easy removal.

I will try to remember to post a pic when I have time.

Also, for those of us with rear A/C, the vents remain installed in the headliner until it is removed. Three clips, two removable and one permanent, are present to secure each vent.

I will try to post these pics as well.

The following users liked this post:
akapeller (12-30-2018)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Baja

i tried prying it open but it was stuck on mine. then when i applied enough pressure it came open but i broke the thin pastic hinge so instead of doing that again i just pulled the other one straight out and bought new. the pics of the rear AC would be nice

Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the late reply including pics of the A/C vents, but here goes...

By the way, my headliner topside has a layer of volara foam on it, so that is why it looks different. I will post a write-up in the next week or so on my complete cabin soundproofing epic I completed over the last month.

This pic shows both sides of an A/C vent. You will notice the two tabs on the upper vent. These are stationary and what you are trying to preserve during removal and installation.

This next pics shows the top side of two vents, one installed and one not. Notice the two clips on the left side of the installed vent. These are easy to remove. These clips, along with the surrounding weatherstripping, are secured to the headliner with double-sided tape. The three sides without clips invaribly come loose but are easily reattached prior to headliner re-installation with tape or spray adhesive.

Once the clips are off the vent, that side of the vent is pushed through to the interior side of the headliner. Please do not ram it through, only push it through enough to allow yourself room to slide the vent to the left (toward the side with the clips you removed).

Lastly, slide the vent to the left enough to allow the fixed plastic tabs to come free of the headliner. Then remove vent.

Again, these vents remain on the headliner until it is removed from the vehicle. The adhesive on the weatherstripping usually fails, so plan on re-securing the weatherstripping once the vents are back on the headliner. If you do it before replacing the vents, the plastic tabs on the vents will try to push the weatherstripping off during installation. So, re-install vents, re-secure weatherstripping, re-install headliner.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
akapeller (12-30-2018)
Old 01-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks hilltoppersx looks good. I haven't had any issues with mine but if/when I do I will be using this thread for sure.

Thanks-

Old 04-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is an old thread but Ed I would like to know exactly what brand and type of primer you used as well as what brand and type of paint you used. I tried this and my headboard is just soaking up the primer. Maybe mine is not fiberglass? It looks and feels like fiberglass. It is a 96 Disco SE7. Let me know so I can get this done right. I think yours looks great and I want mine to look that way too. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Baja

hey Brandon. I used 3 cans of just regular spray paint primer (cheap stuff like $3 a can). if i wasnt in such a hurry it could have used another can. the overcoat i used was a chalkboard spray paint ($8 a can). You can use whatever you like, i know people that have used spray bed liner and even camo. i like the chalkboard and being able to write on the headliner especially when toting my neice and nephew around.

they are all fiberglass.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2