Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACE pump burn up

Old 07-30-2020, 08:41 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACE pump burn up

I purchased a 2000 Disco 2 from a guy who said he worked as a Landrover mechanic for 20 years. He said there was a leak in the ACE system due to a a faulty line near the rear axle. He said he couldn’t find the part but it “would be no problem” to drive. Unfortunately a few later, I hear a rather unfortunate growl from the engine on my way home. Battery light on, overheating and no power steering. Sure enough it cooked the ACE pump. My question is I figured I would need new pump, pulley, serpentine belt, hose to fix leak. Anything else you can suggest would be great. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2020, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Convert it to a non ACE truck if you want to save some $$$. Those Ace pumps are not cheap!

The following users liked this post:
drjimcarlson (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 10:19 AM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

I have a nearly-new ACE pump on my parts truck that I would let go for a good price. Might even be able to harvest a replacement for the leaky line if I knew which bit I was looking for.
Battery light on, no power steering, and overheating would seem to indicate that the serpentine belt snapped, which could be caused by the ACE pump seizing. Until you're able to fix the ACE system, you could get the shorter non-ACE belt and run the truck without that system active.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (07-31-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 11:33 AM
4wd Low
Default Thank you

Thank you for the replies! When the ACE pump overheated it melted the cast iron housing and diverted the pulley towards the compressor pulley. They are not touching so I think I could get a non ACE SERP belt installed until I get a new pump. Since a new ACE pump is around a grand I would be interested in your used ACE pump.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:19 PM
4wd Low
Default Update

Hello again,

The ACE fluid leak is the line that enters the rear hydraulic cylinder. The guy that sold it to me said it was hard to find?

Old 07-30-2020, 01:28 PM
TReK

I will try to pull the pump this evening (simple job) and also take a look underneath the truck to see if I can identify the rear hardline. Depending on how things look, it might be simplest for me to pull the line and actuator together as one piece.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:55 PM
4wd Low
Default Thank you!

Sounds great!

Old 07-31-2020, 01:52 PM
TReK

Okay, ACE pump is off and ready to ship if/when you want it. I checked out the removal of the rear actuator and figured that actually it might be easier to just pull the hardline, if you can tell me which piece you need to replace.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:10 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I would like the ACE pump. Private message me at drcarlsonholisticvet@gmail.com so we can work out the details. It appears the hard lie to the rear actuator is rusted. The former owner gerry rigged with rubber hose up to about 2 feet left of the hard line and this line then connects to the actuator. Thank You!

Old 07-31-2020, 04:08 PM
4wd Low
Default Thank you!

Yes, I will take ACE pump. The hard line was spliced about 2 feet from actuator with rubber hose. The two feet left is very rusty and I am sure where leak is as has a lot of ACE oil everywhere under there. Please let me know how much you want and how we can complete transaction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACE pump burn up