Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were going to buy a 'Keeper' Disco II, what would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I only buy vehicles from the southwest. Non of mine are rusty except this Kia Sportage that's as bad as they get, but super fun to drive! As for a TD5, I've had a few diesel vehicles (not land rovers) and still have a VW TDI which has been a great car BTW. Great fuel economy but it's going to be my last diesel for a while I think. They sound cool, but there are a number of downsides like: dirty, smelly, generally slow acceleration, takes forever to get heat -- and when you do its not that warm. Fuel cost quite a bit more than regular gas (usually) since they changed the tax structure on diesel. For the little I drive Land Rovers, it wouldn't make sense. Usually diesels don't break down very often but when they do and need things like injection pumps fixed or new turbos, that's not cheap either, even if you do your own work. And the new diesels have as many sensors to fail as gas engines. When a problem arises, it can take quite a bit of head scratching to find and resolve the problem (trust me, I've been there). Pretty much erases the fuel savings over a gas vehicle, especially cars which now get pretty decent economy. But, they're not bad on large trucks and construction equipment. I love my TDI every time I put a lot less fuel in the tank. It's funny, a lot of Britts are jealous we get the V8's and we want the TDI's.

Last edited by Mark G; 10-07-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:48 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Buy a TD5 DIESEL. 2003/2004 ES7 TD5 stocker, unmessed with, no lift, no silly bits, color in silver or Vienna green (doesn't show the dirt on it) with good history and one or two previous owners, well maintained, low mileage and clean chassis (frame) and use it and forget about it.

Always ensure it's maintaned properly and kept clean both underneath, topside and engine bay. You'll only be changing engine oil and filters x2 every 12-15K miles or once a year+. Change the autobox filter and ATF Dexron 3 every 30K miles, transfer box, front and rear diffs every 30K miles with good synthetic 75-90. It's good to go for at least another 10 years.

There are TD5's with 250K miles and the record is 500K miles. The 250K miles had absolutely nothing done to the engine except servicing.

Or, if you prefer, buy a twinky Toyota with a string of urgent recalls including brakes or even a VW group with failed emissions etc

Old 10-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Mark G, I'm not sure what the point of this thread was. You asked people's opinions on what THEY thought a keeper Disco would be and then your plan was to critique the answers and tell us how we are wrong? i'm confused.

I told you I wanted a TD5 and then you went on to tell us whats wrong with deisel engines. Everyone will have different opinions. I'm just not sure what the point of this was.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Hi Mark G, I'm not sure what the point of this thread was. You asked people's opinions on what THEY thought a keeper Disco would be and then your plan was to critique the answers and tell us how we are wrong? i'm confused.

I told you I wanted a TD5 and then you went on to tell us whats wrong with deisel engines. Everyone will have different opinions. I'm just not sure what the point of this was.
I think he's just looking to gather opinions and trying to form an idea of what he wants based off of everyone elses ideas. This is a Land Rover forum where we drool over cars we like. Not worth the energy to be upset at stuff like that, man

Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, you're probably right to call me out on that. I thought about deleting the diesel comments and probably should have. But your TD5 words were insightful and made me think that 250k plus miles is pretty hard to argue with.

Point of this thread was to gather comments on the particular features you (all) think are good or not so good for the later year Disco II's. I'm keeping my eyes open for one. Thanks,

Old 10-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Mark, it sounds like you're in the US which means you won't find a TD5 in the US. None were imported and only a hand full have been converted. If you're outside the US then go for it because it would be the most reliable option.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wanted a unique D2 that is why I bought a Trek. Otherwise it would have been a G4 or even a Kalahari. Everything else was too plain for me..

Yes it gets muddy too....

point being...either way you go, plain jane will cost $$$$$$$$$$ to keep running and modded to max will cost $$$$$$$$$$$...get my drift? I would rather have the modded limited production offroader.

Name:  Biltmore%20Trek%20Reunion%2015.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  108.7 KB

Last edited by Yoops Racing; 10-11-2015 at 11:56 AM.