Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Irony - thought you guys might get a kick outta this

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco Irony - thought you guys might get a kick outta this

Just heading back to Boulder for school this week, and as many of you know just how left winged everyone is around here. Well when my brother and I were checking in to the hotel, and we see this sign.. and its closer than the handicap spaces..
check that hybrid status! 13mpg is the new 40?
Name:  IMG_1752.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  81.9 KB

Old 08-12-2009, 11:49 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have parked mine there too. Some older gentleman got pissed as hell at like 3 in the morning I pulled up to Ingles and wasn't paying attention and parked in the "expectant mothers" space. I asked him if he was serious and he was literally going nuts. I told him that I wasn't paying attention but with the 500 open spots I wasn't about to move my car. Now at the Ingles there's 3 expectant mothers, 3 senior, and 3 parents with children parking spots. I have a handicap pass for my eyes that I don't even use other than on football gameday (with 90 thousand fans I don't feel like parking 6 miles away) and sometimes when I'm late for class but those reserved spaces are ridiculous. Fat women and old people need to walk as much as I do and if they are about to have the baby then the husband should be the one getting groceries.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Drifting

yeah its kind of ridiculous.. I mean just because you drive a freaking prius you get to park closer? I wanted to see some hipsters squirm.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:41 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Boulder is so far out there I don't think they can even see the left wing anymore. I cringe at the very thought of even driving into Boulder.

It is very ridiculous to think that just because you drive a certain vehicle (which really does as much to harm to environment as a non-hybrid) you get special parking space. I can see compact only parking spaces in tight parking lots but hybrid only, get real.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That is the republic of boulder for you. I used to love going there but now I only go once every 3 or 4 years and it usually is just on my way to rocky mountain national park.

Anyone ever see the Top Gear with the BMW M3 vs the Prius. Great stuff!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
Anyone ever see the Top Gear with the BMW M3 vs the Prius. Great stuff!
YES!!! I loved it. It supported what I've been saying for years. Plus I loved the study that showed that including the manufacturing as well as fuel consumption a Prius actually does more environmental harm than a Land Rover Discovery.

I was sick of seeing Smart cars and bored one day so I did my own study. I broke down fuel efficiency by weight. In other words I get 13mpg in my Disco and it weighs XXXXX so I get XX miles per pound. Then I did the same for the Smart Car and Prius. I can't remember the exact number but for them to be as efficient as our Discoveries they would have to get somewhere around 130mpg. I love MCI math!

I'm generally a very laid-back person and coureeous driver but there is just something about the self-rightous attitudes of these S@$! Box drivers that really gets to me. I want to make a bumper-sticker that says "I offset the carbon offset of 5 Prius' " really for no other reason than how beside themselves those drivers would be. End Rant!

Thumbs up to the OP.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 08-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Default Think!

So, evidently they are still not thinking. If it is all about "saving the enviroment" and that truly was their agenda and reasoning then they would let us park closer not farther so that we did not kill that much more enviroment. Of course a secondary benefit for them would be a little more exercise would also increase the blood flow to their brain and they might start actually thinking! Maybe that is what they are afraid of.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is only one problem with comparing a M3 to a Prius...the M3 was built to go fast the Prius was not.
The Prius was built to drive in the city not the expressway and certainly not at full throttle.
Now if they were to test the Prius and the M3 in the city the Prius would come out ahead.
Dont get me wrong, I am not pro Prius, but trying to use the wrong tool for the job will not get the job done correctly.
They need to take that M3 and Prius and drive them both back and forth across London for 2 hours and then compare MPG.
You want expressway cruising...M3.
You need to go to run errands around town...Prius.
You want to drive around the world...Land Rover.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No doubt, the test Top Gear used is definitely biased in the M3's favor, but regardless I wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius. I'll take my British steel over anything else any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Disco Irony - thought you guys might get a kick outta this